Chapter Eighteen

"I'm honored you even remembered my name," Taichi said sarcastically. Kazuma swung his sword and sliced through the chains confining Taichi. Taichi got up and started rubbing his wrists, eyeing Kazuma as he sheathed his sword. After he saw Kazuma sheath his blade, he smiled wickedly at him.

"I thought you died a long time ago when your family was captured," Kazuma said as his eyes landed back on Taichi. "Never thought I'd see you again."

"Not quite," Taichi said as he went over and attached his sword to his hip once again. "Osamu kept me, thinking he could use me. Up until now, I thought my parents and sister were still alive, but he killed them a long time ago and was using me to find Mei. I probably should've died with them."

"Idiot, you should've seen through that one," Kazuma said hitting Taichi over the head with his fist. Taichi growled and looked at him, rubbing his head.

"You would've done the same if it was your parents Kazuma. Don't act like the hero now."

Kazuma glared at Taichi. "My parents have been dead longer than yours." Taichi snorted and stretched his arms over his head before walking up to Kazuma.

"At least you didn't just go die somewhere," Taichi said mockingly. "I haven't seen you in quite a while and it looks as if you've gotten a lot stronger. I wouldn't mind sparring with you." Kazuma snarled, baring his fangs at Taichi, whose aloof attitude was beginning to irritate him.

"I'm not in the mood to be tested, Taichi. Where did Osamu take Mei?"

"So you are into her, huh? And to think I had a clear shot with her," Taichi said winking as he rubbed his chin. Kazuma glared at him and he started laughing. "I'm kidding. Well, maybe not completely kidding. Anyways, Osamu has her up a couple more levels. Who knows what he's been doing to her. My best guess is he's been torturing her," Taichi said as he walked past Kazuma. Kazuma rolled his eyes, growling to himself as he followed Taichi. Making their way out of the room, Taichi lead Kazuma up the few levels needed to get to Mei. They walked on in silence, unsure about what to talk about. It was true Kazuma and Taichi use to be close friends at a young age until Osamu forced their families apart, but now it seemed as if they never knew each other. Kazuma didn't know what had happened to Taichi since they parted, and seeing him again felt like he was being introduced to someone he didn't even know. You think you know a guy, Kazuma thought. They finally came up to a large metal door with a thick iron rod sealing it shut. Kazuma raised his eyebrows, impressed with the size of the door. 

"An impressive door," Kazuma complimented, looking at it up and down.

"All the more reason to break it down," Taichi said cracking his knuckles. Taichi raised his fist up and it ignited in red energy. The energy engulfed his entire hand, and running towards the door, Taichi swung his fist, the impact on the door shaking the very tower. The door flew backwards into the opposite wall, sizzling from the steam of Taichi's energy. Taichi shook his hand out and then glanced confidently over at Kazuma. "Piece of cake," Taichi said smugly. 

Kazuma walked past him as if nothing happened, which irritated Taichi. Kazuma's eyes widened when he saw Mei up in a cocoon of chains and the pool of blood below her. Anger flared inside of Kazuma and he ran over there and looked up at Mei. Her eyes were closed and he could see her shoulders moving up and down as she breathed. Kazuma sighed with relief; Osamu hadn't succeeded in taking her soul yet. Unsheathing his sword, Kazuma leaped upwards and slashed at the chains holding Mei, cleanly slicing through them. As he landed, he stabbed his sword into the floor and caught Mei as she fell into his arms. He quickly removed any loose chains before he saw the condition she was in. Kazuma looked at her and saw all the bruises and gashes covering her small body and realized she had no energy left to heal herself. Cursing under his breath, he gently laid Mei on the ground and pulled a small bottle from his vest. He was about to take the cap off when something started nagging in the back of his brain. Kazuma closed his eyes and he noticed Sakura was trying to get his attention, telling him to warp them up there. Kazuma looked back at Taichi, who was standing with a bored expression on his face, looking around the room.