Chapter Thirteen

Mei stared Kalik down and saw that he was going to go through with her proposal. Mei took a deep breath and summoned the Abyss Blade. She held it in her hand, its weight reassuring her. She didn’t have a second to lose; Kalik lunged at her the moment she gripped the blade. Easily blocking his attack, Mei went on the defensive, her expression blank. Fast and quick, so I don’t have to hurt him. Kalik’s attacks kept getting heavier as Mei kept blocking them. Finally, when Kalik swung downwards and Mei blocked it, she used his strength against him and shoved him to the side. Quickly regaining his footing, Kalik slashed down at her and Mei rolled to the side. Kalik didn’t give her a chance to get to her feet; he kept hacking away at her and each blow Mei blocked with her blade as she scooted backwards using her legs. Mei released her blade and swung her legs upwards the moment Kalik reared back to slice down again and caught Kalik’s sword, sending it spinning into the air. Kalik stumbled off balance as he dodged Mei’s foot, which gave Mei the opportunity she was looking for. She landed on her feet and drove her arm upwards, her fist connecting with Kalik’s jaw. As Kalik fell off to the side, Mei’s leg swung upwards and caught him in the stomach, sending him flying in the other direction. Mei looked down as Kalik hit the ground with a thud and noticed the blood coming from the corner of his mouth. He glared up at her, wiping the blood from his lips.

“It would seem mine is a bit greater than yours. Farewell, Kalik. Perhaps I will see you later down the road.”

Mei turned and signaled for her demons to mount up, not giving Kalik the chance to even speak, just like he did to her. Sakura brought over her horse and Mei swung herself on it and then looked back at Kalik who had regained his footing. Sadness crossed Mei’s face and she closed her eyes, turning her head away from the glares of hatred that pierced into her back. As they left, a single tear fell down Mei’s cheek.

A couple days passed and Mei stood in the small shack in the cemetery and she faced a wall. Kalik and the others hatred seemed to grow since their little encounter. Mei knew that the old friendship they had would never come back, but the pain that was stabbing inside of her wouldn’t go away. Maybe I should’ve explained myself when I beat Kalik, but I have a feeling they wouldn’t have listen then either.

“Mei, are you alright?”

Mei spun around and saw Kazuma slowly closing the door behind him. She smiled sadly at him, then slowly turned back around to face the wall again.

“Is there something you need, Kazuma?”

“You still care about those humans don’t you?”

“Is it that obvious?” Mei said laughing softly. Kazuma walked over there and put his hand on the wall, his arm hovering over Mei’s shoulder. Mei slowly looked up at him, tears forming at the bottom of her eyes.

“They aren’t going to see you as a comrade ever again Mei. I told you before, humans will only bring you pain.”

“I know that, Kazuma. But they were my family as well. Even if they hate my guts and wish for my death, I won’t abandon them.”

“I don’t understand that, but I won’t argue with you either. But you realize they see you as the enemy.”

Mei turned around and looked up in Kazuma’s eyes. “I know. I just need to get things the way they use to be; how the world use to be. Where there was no hatred between humans and demons; when humans didn’t know demons existed.”

“How are you planning on doing that? The humans already heard that you are going to kill Osamu. How are you going to persuade them?”

“I don’t know!! I just don’t know,” Mei said looking away. Kazuma sighed gently and shook his head, his arm falling to his side .