Chapter 7: Dylan

I wake up with a start, the dream of fighting over sized animals still fresh on my mind. What? I think. Corbin, who is next to me shakes my shoulder in a hurry to get me to wake up. "Come on, wake up man." He says, a smug look on his face. "We have to leave today."

"Oh, right." I say sleepily, I must have fallen asleep again after another late night of gaming with Kevin. "Ok dude, give me a sec." I fix my glasses that fell astray across my face and get out of bed.

After finishing my morning rituals I go to the kitchen and try to find something to eat when I hear a noise from Corbin's room, causing me to roll my eyes. Some days... I take some waffles out of the freezer and then put them in the toaster. "You know." I say aloud so that Corbin can hear me. "I find it really funny that you wake me up and tell me to get ready when you aren't ready yourself."

"Hey!" He shouts indignantly. "Shut it Goldilocks."

I laugh at the expense of my friend just as the waffles pops out of the toaster. I grab a paper plate and syrup and a fork, then head on over to the living room. I drop unceremoniously onto the soft couch and reach over for the tv remote to my side and turn on the tv. Specifically the news channel.

"-how about that Jake?" The news woman, Jackie Sermons says to the scrawny, brown haired man with sea green eyes.

"Well whoever they are, they have helped lowered crime rate at an alarming speed. But alarming in a good way, not the bad one, mind you." He says, showing his pearly white teeth.

I look at the caption on the bottom of the screen. I smirk. "The Justice Duo: Detroit's Own Superheroes, eh." I say. "Sounds bout right."

"Hey!" Corbin yells from the other room. "Victoria just texted me from the group chat and asked if we were going this year."

"Tell her 'Yeah and we'll see you there!" I say as I finish the last bite of my delicious waffles. I get up from my cozy spot on the couch and threw away my plate and put my utensils in the tiny dishwasher.

"Yo Corbin! You done yet?" I yell.

"Give me a freaking second! Besides don't you need to pack!" He asks irritably.

I look over at my packed bags by the door. "Already did, you idiot!"

I can hear him groan. "Fine, whatever!"

I chuckle at him. He's so funny when he's mad. He's like a little puppy sometimes. I laugh internally at that thought, but then another thought came into my mind.

It was about that dream I had before Corbin had woken me up.

I close my eyes, trying to remember the events that had took place and the terrible images of the giant, gruesome animals fill my head. What can this all mean? I question myself. They all started attacking me at once, not even giving me a chance to identify all of my challengers. My movements were sleek and smooth with a little bit of rage mixed in.

I was screaming. I remember that as well. I was yelling at them... But I couldn't understand it. It was all garbled up, making it impossible to even identify the voice much less hear the tone and words. However I did hear the minimum amount. Words like lose, hurt, scared, and sanity. None that made any sense to me.

And soon, all the animals were gone. Dead. Corpses covered the ground, my hands and feet dripping with blood. I stood there, panting, yelling at someone I couldn't see. Then there was a girl. She appeared out of nowhere. She looked slightly younger than I was, beautiful dark green eyes and short brown hair and blonde highlights in her hair. Her lips were moving but no sound came out. But she made me feel safe and sound. Her presence felt like home. And with one last word, she disappeared, never to be seen by my eyes again. But I could still feel her within me. Like she was always here by my side, like she never left.

That girl... I knew her... That was Landon's girlfriend. That was Kyra Bellamy. What was she doing in my dream?

XXX

"Dylaaan." Corbin whines as I merge onto a highway. "How much longer?"

I throw Corbin a glare. "Dude. Chill." I growl. "We just left Detroit. We don't live too far away from the base. Just calm yourself man."

Corbin and I were on our way to Chicago, where all the demigods and legacies meet up before going to resting place of those who died during the Fourth Great Greco-Roman War. We were heading there a day ahead of schedule because we were going sightseeing for the first time. Why not? I think as I shrug my shoulders.

Christmas music was blasting through the radio. I tap my thumbs along with the beat and hum along to the words, not knowing what the exact words were. It isn't too long before Corbin looked over at me and gives me an annoyed look.

"What? It's fun. Try it, you humbug." I keep my eyes on the road and continued to tap and sing along.

He just rolls his eyes and faces away from me, looking out the window. Where the icy, snowy mountains lay and dark greens forests surrounds the roads with crystal ice stalactites hanging over the branches.

We stop at a gas station after a few hours of driving, I had grown tired and we were barely under a half a tank of gas.

"Do we really have to stop every time the gas is below the halfway point? You're going to run out of money that way." Corbin remarks as he gets out of the car.

"Yes. "I say seriously. "I don't like it when it's below half. And besides, don't cry wolf to me when you run out of gas and you had plenty of time to get some miles back!" I yell back at him as he walks in the small convenient store. He turns around right before he gets in the store and flips me off.

"Love you too!" I scream back as he enters the store.

After getting gas and the necessary snacks, we left the station. The ride is so boring. We didn't say a word unless it was about changing the volume on our favorite song. I yawn as we make a left down a road. It feels like we are gonna drown in boredom until we heard it.

"Hello? It's me."

I look over at Corbin just as he looks at me, a smirk on his face.

"I was wondering if after all the years you'd like to meet." Corbin sings.

"To go over. Everything." I join.

"They say time is supposed to heal ya, but I ain't done much healing." He takes back.

"Hello? Can you hear me? I'm in California dreaming about who we used to be." I sing, a little louder than before.

"When we were younger and free."

"I've forgotten how it felt before the world fell at our feet."

"There's such a difference, between us.

"And a million miles."

We both have devious smirks as we both know what happens next.

"HELLO FROM THE OTHER SIDE!!!" We scream together.

Oh it was a fun ride to Chicago.