Chapter 13: Landon

"Damn it." I hiss, gritting my teeth, as I feel the red haired girl, Haylee, rubbing alcohol on one of my many infected wounds from the numerous torture sessions I went through two days ago.

The relationship between her and I wasn't the best at first. Of course I was a little weary of being around her, but if she had wanted to kill me, she would have been done so by now. Then there was also the fact of what she had done for me back at the room... So I learned to mellow out around her and allowed her to heal my wounds, since she was so adamant about cleaning them in the first place.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." She says worryingly, being gentle as she dabbed them. "I'm not trying to hurt you. It's just that you need this to help you in your recovery."

I let out a ragged, pained sigh. "It's ok." I say through my clenched teeth. "Don't worry about it."

"O-ok." She says, a bit unsure whether to believe me or not.

I turn my head away from her and proceed to roll my dark brown eyes at her. I get that she feels guilty about all the stuff that had happened, but seriously. If I trust you enough to let you dress my wounds, don't you think that I'd forgive you.... Apparently not.

We had found a cheap hotel using the money Hayls 'borrowed' when she sneaked into her 'ex-master's' office before my third day, so we are staying here for the night in till I'm able to move again. Which I don't know if I'll be able to anytime soon.

Haylee smiles warmly as she says, "I can't believe how strong you are, ya know?"

I look up at the girl with a quizzical look upon my face. "Whatcha mean by that?"

She sets her bloodied rag in the bucket of hot water and looks me dead in the eyes, I could see the death, torture, sadness deep within her heart. "Well... It's just that... Any normal person would have given up and been killed if they were put through the.... things that you were put through..."

A humorless laugh erupts from my mouth, but I stop quickly as racks of pain run through my stomach and chest which caused her to make sure I'm okay. "Ugh... yeah. That's true. They might have done just that. But that doesn't mean I'm strong."

It's then her once serious facial expression turns to a confused one, showing the slight curiosity gleaming in her eyes. "What do you mean?"

"Hayls...." I say, looking up at the cracked smoke-stained ceiling, avoiding her eyesight. "I'm not strong at all... I just know how to survive."

"Huh?"

".... Let's just say that this isn't the first time I've been.... Tortured.... But it wasn't nearly as bad though..." I close my eyes and shiver at the memories to feel a soft hand gently press against my forehead comfortingly.

"Oh..." She whispers just loud enough for me to hear as she removes her hand.

A comfortable silence envelops us both as we just enjoy each other's presence. The minutes ticked away and we could hear the splashing of someone taking a midnight swim out in the pool outside followed by another. I hear their giggles from all the way in here causing me to smile sadly. The lucky jerks. I think to myself. They all get to enjoy life without a simple worry in their little heads. And not for the first time, I envision what life would be like if I was just a normal kid.

My imagination went to work, I see a Caucasian woman with loving brown eyes and long, curly brown hair with blonde highlights who would be my mother. I hear her tell me that things were okay, tell me to go to school and get good grades and nag at me to do my chores. I see a father who would protect me from the bad of this world, show me some fighting moves and how to be a proper man. And then I see my sister, who had over the years transformed into Tiffany, she and I would play tag and stay up late, hanging out, having dance off and other things. A typical family. A family that I wish I could have. Instead I'm stuck here. In this meaningless existence. My family killed...  My mother by my father... And my father by me...