Chapter 15: Corbin

Move.... Come on, move!! Get out of the way you idiot! Move! I mentally yell at myself as I lean my battered body to the right to effectively dodge the jab thrown at my left cheek. To capitalize on the opening, I quickly raise my right arm up on the outside of the offender's left arm and hook my arm around it. Placing my right foot behind his left leg, I am able to push him down, hard, onto the padded black mat under us.

I breath heavily. The move took a lot out of me, but I had, fortunately, managed to last long enough to exhaust him and put him down on the ground. The adrenaline racing throughout my body as I squat down next to my sparring partner, a smirk right on my face. "Ha, how'd that feel, Kevin?" I say teasingly, feeling accomplished.

He grunts in pain. "You're getting better." He grumbles under his breath, then smiles mischievously. Then, as fast as a snake attacking, he manages to somehow spin his body on the ground and sweep my feet out from under me.

"Wha- oof!" I exclaim as I hit the floor, my right shoulder hitting first. Damn man. I was so close. I sigh. I clench my fists angrily and hit the mat. Damn it!

We're in the 12th District, Kevin and I are fighting to the death. I asked him to train me on hand to hand combat moves. I always want to be prepared for anything.

"I can tell that you are improving at this." Kevin says, leaning down and sticking his hand out to help me up. "Couple more rounds and I think we will be done for today."

I look at his outstretched hand that was ready to pull me up. Skittish, I grab his hand and kicked my feet up against his midsection. He gasps in surprise, not expecting that, as I use the last of my strength to throw his body behind me on the mat. I flip over with him and land on top of him, fist cocked back and ready for the next move if he resisted.

"Oooff! What was that for?" Kevin coughed, obviously shocked by my sudden strength.

"I thought you were going to trick me." I said, getting off him and, ironically, held out my hand to help him up, a grin on my face.

He took my hand and pushes off of the ground. "Yeah, yeah, yeah." He mutters, obviously aggravated at being put down twice in one fight.

"Aww, what's wrong buddy?" I say teasingly, knowing what to say to make him mad. "Mad you getting knocked down too much by little old me?"

Kevin scoffs, trying to play it off like nothing happened. "Oh whatever. Let's try this again, Cinderella."

I growl dangerously, getting pissed about the 'nickname' he gave me. "I'm not a princess."

Kevin smirks. "Sure, ok, buddy." Then he runs straight at me as fast as he can.

"Eh?" I say, unprepared for the punch that sends me reeling backwards into the wall.

I groan in pain. Damn, he's got a mean jab. However, despite my daze, I am able to duck under a right hook, only to be kneed straight in the stomach. The air left my lungs as I am sent backwards once again, but I roll to the left this time and hop back onto my feet. I fall back into a fighting stance, glaring at Kevin. "Dude! That's cheating, man."

Kevin shrugs, a smirk plastered on his face. "Sorry, bro. But there's always gonna be some cheaters on the battlefield. So you're just gonna have to deal."

I roll my eyes. "Sometimes I wonder why I don't train with Dylan..." I grumble, rubbing my shoulder that I hit against the wall.

"Because Dylan isn't as much of a challenge as me." He points out as if it is fast. "And you asked me." I open my mouth to make a comeback, only to find I have nothing to say to the jerk. So I decided to just keep my mouth closed, causes Kevin to laugh out. "Ha, haven't got any witty remark to add, Corb?"