Chapter 17

Arden attempted to wriggle free from the two soldiers who grabbed her, but they held tight. Her lungs refused to move. Calling her a witch wasn't a good sign. Sweet Lady Moon, what were they planning to do to her? Burn her as part of tonight's entertainment?

"Let her go." Dev plowed into one of the men, and all four of them tumbled backwards onto the dirt floor.

The men closest to the disturbance jumped to the defense of their comrades. She covered her face to shield it from the flying fists and feet. Any moment now, she expected to hear to clang of steel and feel the warm, sticky ooze of blood.

"Stop this immediately," a man's voice boomed over the ruckus.

The soldiers froze at the command.

She dared a peek at the situation. Three soldiers pinned Dev to the ground, and a fourth pressed the tip of a sword into his cheek just inches above the spot her fingers touched him seconds ago. Cinder stood between her and another soldier, his teeth bared.

"So that's Dev's imitation of a pincushion."

"Shut up, Loku."

Prince Kell stood over them all with a royal frown on his face. "This is disgraceful behavior for members of the royal guard, especially when we've experienced such gracious hospitality from our host. Is this how we return it? By engaging in a bar fight under his roof?"

"He started it, Your Highness," one of the soldiers started to explain.

"He threatened my apprentice," Dev countered.

"I did no such thing. I merely—"

"Enough." One word ended the conversation, and his men stared at the floor. "Can't you see you've frightened the young lady?"

A nearby cough told her not all of his men agreed that she was a young lady. Nor would she give him the satisfaction of letting him know the fight frightened her. She grew up in an inn, after all. Instead, she wiped the dirt off her palms and stood.

Kell held her gaze and waited for her to say something. When she didn't, he asked, "Are you unharmed?"

"Aw, he's such a gentleman. Next thing you know, he'll be offering to cover mud puddles in your path with his cloak."

"I seriously doubt that." To give Kell some credit, he played the part of a gentleman well. Of course, she scarcely believed his concern was genuine. "I was fine until two of your men grabbed me and insulted me."

He turned to the two soldiers who'd accosted her and glared at them. "I'll make sure that won't happen again."

A grunt from Dev reminded her he still had a blade on his face. "Could you be so kind as to order your men to release my protector, Your Highness? He was just performing his duty."

The corners of his mouth twitched. Kell must've gotten some kind of sick pleasure from seeing Dev eating dust. If she wasn't fearful for her life, she might have joined him in his amusement. "Only if he agrees not to cause any more trouble tonight."

"If your men behave, I trust he will."

With a nod, Kell consented to her demands. The soldiers backed away from Dev, throwing a slight shove as they did so.

Her protector stood and moved between her and the prince. The rigid set of his shoulders matched the way his fingers curled into fists. "Where were they planning on taking her?"

"Since she's the only lady in our company, I thought it only appropriate that she have a private room. I'd asked my men to escort her there."

"Oh, a private room. You lucky girl." Loku's sarcasm made the muscles in her neck twitch. "Now, the next question should be if you'll be alone there."