Chapter 26

Arden's heart thumped in her chest as Dev followed the king out of the throne room. The chill of abandonment surrounded her, leaving her naked and exposed to the crowd. Once again, she became the freak everyone stared at. The men turned away from her, their expressions something of fear mixed with contempt. The women with their fancy clothes and kohl-lined eyes openly glared her. One in particular looked like she wanted to rip the dress from Arden's body.

She searched the room until she found the one friendly face she could count on—Kell's. He smiled and strolled down the stairs to join her. "May I suggest a turn in the garden?"

"Please." She took his arm and hurried toward the open doors, not caring how many people she shoved aside to get there. Once the night air embraced her, she breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you."

"You're very welcome, Arden." His gaze swept up and down her body. "You look ravishing tonight."

She lowered her eyes and smoothed her damp palm on the silk skirt. "It has to be the dress."

"My dear Soulbearer, do you know how to take a compliment?"

"I've never had much experience with them until recently."

"Don't discount Dev's compliment, either. He's very spare with his praise, and you should be very proud you weaseled one from him."

Her smile widened and, for a moment, she forgot that she could be minutes away from a pyre. Right now, she imagined she was just another lady of the court who'd happened to catch the attention of the prince.

A shrill voice came through the open doors. "That little witch must have stolen it."

"Uh-oh." Kell's mouth angled down, and he led her down the stairs onto the garden paths. "Perhaps we should hide in the labyrinth until Elslyn calms down."

"Who?" She'd forgotten how easily her legs got tangled up in full skirts until she tried to match his pace.

"Elslyn, Gandor's wife. You're wearing one of her discarded dresses."

"Oh." Her heart sank a little. She wore a princess's cast-off, not a gown that belonged to her. The truth reminded her that she was nothing more than a skinny barmaid playing dress-up.

He stopped at the opening of a tall hedge. "You sound disappointed. Do you not like the dress?"

"No, I love it, but I don't need any more enemies."

His lips brushed against her forehead. "Don't worry so much about her. Everyone in the palace knows Elslyn's a spoiled bitch. If she dropped dead tomorrow, there would be great rejoicing."

The gentle kiss soothed her more than his words, but she fought back a laugh. "So I've heard from Katie."

"Katie?"

"The maid you sent to help me this evening. She's a delight."

"I'm glad I caught her in the hall, then." His lips trailed along the side of her face, and he tilted her chin up. "I want you to enjoy your time here."

She didn't know if Kell's touch or the tight laces of her dress made it difficult to breathe, but her head swam from lack of air. "Why is that?"

A quick grin flashed on his face. "Come deeper into the labyrinth with me and find out."

A little voice inside her head warned her not to trust him so easily, but she took his hand and followed him through the tall hedge maze.

"Yes, Prince Kell certainly has swept you off your feet."

She stopped dead in her tracks, cursing under her breath. Leave it to Loku to remind her of her foolishness.

"Arden, are you all right?"