Chapter 22

Arden awoke to an arm tightening around her waist. This was the second morning in a row that she'd found herself wedged in between Dev and Cinder, but she didn't complain. Their warmth drove off the damp chill of the river fog that swirled around them. She snuggled closer to Dev.

"Cold?" His sleepy voice startled her, but his arm kept her from rising.

"A little."

"Here." When he wrapped his cloak around her shoulders, his hands left a trail of heat along her arms. "Better?"

She nodded and continued to enjoy lying next to him. A slow-burning fire crept along her limbs, relaxing her muscles in its wake.

Other noises filtered through the fog. As much as she wanted to stay nestled in his arms, she knew they'd have to get up and ride until sunset again. Ever since she'd healed Ortono, Kell seemed more anxious than ever to return home. This translated to long hours in a saddle, pushing their horses to exhaustion. The supply wagon that followed them usually arrived two hours after they'd chosen a camp site, and the men pitched tents by torchlight.

She sat up. Even in the murky morning light, she could see the frown that tugged at Dev's mouth. "The sooner we get up and moving, the sooner we work the chill from our bones."

"You're unusually cheerful this morning, Trouble."

"That's because you woke up in the arms of a warm, virile man," Loku replied.

Her cheeks flamed from his accusation, but she didn't deny it. "Perhaps because I'm sleeping better."

"You'd sleep even better if you let him fuck you to exhaustion."

"Shut up, Loku. You know that's never going to happen with Dev."

"True. He's too reserved, too bound to his duty. Kell, on the other hand..." His voice trailed off into a snicker, and she knew why.

Kell had been so focused on getting them to Trivinus that he'd avoided her. At least, she hoped that was the reason why she hadn't seen him in the last two days. It was silly of her to hope he might actually be interested in her as something other than a bedmate. The pessimist in her listed dozens of other reasons without Loku's help. Maybe her magic frightened him into regretting his decision to help them escape the pyre.

"I suspect his avoidance has more to do with your lips than your magic, my Soulbearer."

"I wonder if he knew I'd never been kissed before."

"Most likely, but he didn't seem to mind."

"Then why won't he even look at me?"

"Ask Dev." More of the chaos god's deep laughter echoed through her mind.

She paused from rolling up her blankets and studied him. Could his new attentiveness have discouraged the prince's attentions? And in truth, was it a blessing? She couldn't seem to think clearly when she was around Kell.

"So young, so naïve. I'm enjoying having you as my Soulbearer, Arden."

"What is Loku telling you now?" Dev continued packing his things as if there was nothing unusual about her having a conversation with someone in her head.

"How do you know he's telling me anything at all?"

"The rings in your eyes flash, and you get this distant look on your face."

All the blood drained from her head. "Is it really that obvious?"

"Only to me." He looked up and gave her a weak smile. "Remember, I've been watching Soulbearers for over a century."