Prologue

EDITED: 7/11/15 ✓

Prologue

I dropped backwards onto my plush double bed and smiled, inhaling a greedy breath. Home, I thought contently. Today had been a perfect day. This morning I had dreaded the shift from summer vacation to an uncharted school year – my first year of high school, to be exact. However, the unnerving day had blossomed into one filled with new and exciting possibilities.

Thinking back, I realize now I had been silly for feeling unsettled. I knew high school would turn out to be okay; in fact, better than okay.

I had shared the day with my three best friends, had the chance to meet new people, and even had a pleasantly decent lunch from the school's cafeteria. Above all, I had tried out for the school's spirit squad; I've always dreamed of wearing their glittery costumes at Friday night football games. Spending my fair share at games growing up, nothing had ever caught my eye in quite the same way as that those outfits did. Now, perhaps, I could be one of those girls; perhaps... I could shine.

I couldn't wait for tomorrow.

Sighing contentedly, I rolled onto my stomach and rested my chin atop of my entwined forearms. After a few moments of silent bliss, I heard a soft knock on my bedroom door.

"Yea?" I shouted lightly, despite knowing who was on the other side of the door.

As the door swung open, I felt a grin stretch across my lips.

"Hey, Cal," I toned down my beaming smile as my brother narrowed his kindhearted blue-eyed gaze. There was no doubt in my mind that he was curious to hear about my first day. I was entering his world, and despite his constant overprotectiveness, I knew he waned to see me flourish.

Cal has always been a great brother... sometimes, even more than I could truly appreciate. Cal is many things: handsome, athletic, loyal, and fiercely protective. He and I shared the same sandy blonde hair and ivory skin. However, whereas my eyes were hazel, Cal's were a magnificent shade of gunmetal blue.

I was proud to be known as Cal Jameson's kid sister, despite smugly knowing that I would not be seen as a kid for much longer.

"So... how'd it go?" Cal asked, leaning against my doorframe. I bit down on my lip to hold off my growing grin.

"It was great," I replied honestly, averting his gaze and sitting up slightly.

"Are any of the guys bugging you?" Cal asked quickly, frowning. Of course he'd ask that.

"No, Cal, besides I'm a big girl now; I can handle myself," I smirked, rolling my eyes despite the heat rising in my cheeks. I admit, there was that one cute boy in my history class...

"I'll find out, Soph," Cal warned, smirking devilishly.

I grunted slightly. Cal is the senior captain of our high school football team, and I'm soon realizing that that factor will bring on both advantages and drawbacks throughout my high school career. On one hand, I don't believe I'll have to worry about being teased too harshly. However, on the other hand, most freshmen boys at East Hill will probably think twice before getting too friendly with me. Nobody wanted to be on the football team's bad side.

"You can try," I teased coyly. Cal looked down at his watch for a moment and rubbed his neck aggressively. I wondered if he had strained himself during this morning's football practice. "Where are you going?" I frowned, pointing the gym bag just outside my door. Cal simply shrugged and looked up from his watch.

"Jason and a couple of the guys are driving over to pick me up and then we're heading to the gym," Cal shrugged away from the doorframe to stand up straight. "I'll probably be back before dinner but if not, I left money for you on the counter in case you want to order anything."

"Okay..." I chewed my lip and slowly sat up straight. "Have you... spoken to Dad?" I asked quietly, already having a good idea of what Cal would soon say. I shouldn't expect a different answer since this was just the way life was for the two of us; how it has always been.

"Not really. Last week he said might be home in a month or so, depending on the business. Sophia, I don't want you to..." Cal started, looking torn. I smiled brightly and quickly to hide my gnawing disappointment.

"I'm just asking! It's not a big deal, and I don't really care much," I tucked my hair behind my ears and stood up to walk over to my school bag. Halfway there, the doorbell chimed loudly throughout the empty house.

"See you tonight?" Cal smiled apologetically and rubbed the back of his neck, again.

"See you," I nodded and smiled, hoping to ease his obvious worries. Every few weeks I ask just once, hoping senselessly that my Dad would be home from whichever business trip he'd jetted off to. In some retrospect, it may seem like a blessing to live alone with my brother in a luxurious house. I had a lot of freedom.

However, it stung to know that the only way our father communicated with us was through a hefty cheque in the mail every month.

Hesitating for a second, Cal stretched over to me and ruffled my hair playfully with his hand.

"Bye kiddo," Cal smirked at my annoyed expression before he disappeared down the hall.

I sighed dramatically before laughing easily.

I'd unpack my school things, do a little homework, and order something delicious that would pair well with my newest TV-show obsession...

Then... it happened.

One moment I was smiling and laughing and then in the next, I heard the sound of a loud, awful thud cut off Cal's soft footsteps. Had he dropped his bag? I froze, my fingers shaking slightly as I rose from my crouched position.

"Cal?" I shouted softly, feeling my gut twist painfully. After a moment of complete silence, I felt the sensation of my heart sinking into my gut.

"Cal? Cal, what did you drop? Did something break?" I shouted again, feeling slightly frightened. Still, silence was the only reply to my cries. "Cal!" I yelled in frustration, throwing myself out of my room quickly. I was suddenly feeling ill and unstable. Somehow I'd made it all the way down the long hallway before I jerked to a stop at the top of our straight, dark-wood staircase.

The world fell away as I absorbed the scene beneath me.

My brother lay crumpled on his side at the bottom of the staircase with a bead of blood dripping from his nose. In my comatose state, I could almost zoom-in to see that single bead of blood, dribbling fluidly over his skin and across his parted lips. The moment the blood hit the floor, I found myself running.

"CAL!" Screams ripped through my throat as I clambered clumsily down the steps. "OH, GOD! CAL!" I crashed onto my knees painfully beside him.

Short gasps flew through my lips as I placed my hands on Cal's still shoulders. Tear-less sobs rippled through my chest as I patted my brother weakly. "C-C-Cal." Uncontrollable wetness collected in my eyes, burring the horrendous sight before me.

No, no, no, no. The word repeated restlessly through my mind.

I looked around frantically as hot tears slipped down my cheeks. Distantly, I could hear a cluster of male voices outside the front door.

"HELP! PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP!" I screamed ear-piercingly loud. Through my blinding tears and stunned senses, I was vaguely aware of Jason and a few of Cal's other friends, suddenly bursting through the unlocked door.

I wanted to scream again and tell Jason to call an ambulance, or cry to cope through my wild fears, but instead I fell into a sudden state of stock-still as I gazed into Cal's half-closed, unresponsive, blue eyes. It was as if my mind had sluggishly processed the situation now, long after my body had reacted. Jason's arms encircled my shaking body, sliding my doll-like figure against his strong chest. He had attempted to cover my tear-stained gaze with his muscular arms, but I could unseen Cal's blooded face, or lifeless eyes. It was much too late now to shelter me from the truth...I knew.

My brother, my Cal, was dead.