Chapter 22: Uprooted

EDITED: 7/19/15 ✓

Chapter 22: Uprooted

Matt

I kicked off the sand from my sneakers and untied Tyson's leash the moment I slipped through the backdoor of my house. I was so torn – both my heart and head twisted and confused.

At first, I felt furious with myself for even bringing up Sophia's underlying problems. I was an idiot for turning on her so quickly and absurdly just after she decided to truly open up to me. It was as if all the progress I'd made had suddenly gone down the toilet.

I had let her down... and I left her just as I promised I wouldn't.

However... it was almost too easy to be angry with myself. Deep in my heart, I wasn't. In fact, my fear-driven anger was directed toward Sophia. Knowing she constantly walked a thin line of wavering emotions tormented me to no end. I wanted to take her situation in my own hands and tie together all of the broken strings in her life. But... that's exactly what she didn't want. She didn't want my help and she didn't believe her situation could ever change. She... had no hope.

But I did – and that's the exact reason I was frustrated with her. She couldn't just give up. I wanted so much more for her than this and because of that, I might have to jeopardize everything I have with her. In the very end, even though it hurt like hell to say this, I would trade our relationship just to make her whole again. She deserved a life of fulfillment, happiness, and a sense of release from her haunted past. So maybe she was right, I thought as a wave of sadness caused my throat to ache. I clenched my jaw and leaned back against the closest wall.

'Maybe this wasn't right', I heard her soft voice so clearly replaying those words in my mind. Even though I hadn't let it show, that final sentence tore me to pieces. Though I had to remind myself that sometimes doing the right thing was far from easy.

* * *

I waited at the tail end of my truck, watching the sidewalk disappear behind the corner of the school. Sophia had texted me early in the morning saying she felt like taking a walk to school instead of having me pick her up. I wanted to argue with her but after a moment, I thought better of it knowing she probably needed time to think. Needed time away from me...

"Sophia told me the good news yesterday," Megan whistled, popping in beside me with a small grin on her face. I sighed, pushing my shoulders back into the chipped blue paint of my truck.

"We'll see if things change today..." I groaned, busying myself with kicking the slightly damp asphalt.

"Why would they?" Megan frowned, nudging my shoulder lightly. I looked up and squinted, watching Miles' truck roll into the lot.

"I opened my big mouth and suggested that she go see my Aunt," I whispered, keeping my voice low. I knew it was wrong for me to tell Megan about Sophia's personal problems, but I trusted her and needed someone to talk to about all of the congested thoughts in my head.

"So, she told you," Megan sighed, crossing her arms. I straightened and turned toward her with puzzlement taking over my crumpled expression.

"What are you talking about?" I spoke slowly, watching her carefully. I didn't know how, but Megan always seemed to know so much more than she lead on.

"She had a rough time on Monday and I was there to help her through it," Megan explained, smiling slightly at the memory. "I don't see why you're upset though," she raised an eyebrow, questioning me. I lolled my head back for a moment to let out a sharp exhale before turning my attention back toward her.