Chapter 6: Normal

EDITED: 7/12/15 ✓

Chapter 6: Normal

"Place your ingredients into the bowl with ease and grace. Remember everyone, patience is key when learning the craft of baking!" The elderly home-economics teacher sung happily. I exhaled slowly as I began cracking eggs mindlessly into one of the kitchen's glass bowls.

"Hey, you're pretty good at this," Carly huffed and smiled, pushing her bangs out of her face with the back of her flour-ridden hand. I snapped out of my drowsy daze and smiled coyly.

"Practice," I explained softly, picking up another egg and cracking it effortlessly with one hand. Carly didn't need to know the small detail that I've been cooking for myself since I was tall enough to stand over the stove.

"Chocolate or Vanilla mix?" Miles asked, grinning as always. I peered up and then at Carly for confirmation. The three of us had decided on partnering up for the day's introductory class.

"Chocolate?" Carly stated questionably as she looked back at me. I shrugged and switched back to my bowl with a thoughtful expression on my face.

I was pretty absorbed in my own thoughts for the next couple of minutes. However, my concentration immediately broke the moment I felt something goopy slide across my cheek. I jumped and snapped my head up, catching Miles suppressing laugher as he licked a wad of icing off of his finger.

"Did you just...?" I asked, wiping my hand across my cheek.

"What are you going to do about it?" Miles challenged, smiling devilishly. I gapped, suddenly amazed at how forthcoming and comfortable around me he's become. If I hadn't known any better, our relationship would've seemed like one we've been harboring for years.

"She's not going to do anything, I am!" Carly suddenly hollered, scooping up a handful of flour before mashing it straight into Miles's face. I gasped but then found myself giggling airy as I watched the two suddenly go at it – grabbing whatever they could as ammo.

"That is enough, you three!" The elderly Mrs. Verne shouted hysterically. I stopped laughing immediately as she waved her finger scornfully.

"You're so dead, Carly," Miles growled playfully as he lifted up the hem of his apron to wipe off his face.

"Just defending my fellow lady," Carly giggled, looping her arm through mine. I smiled shyly and wiped my hands off on my apron.

It seems I've been doing something a lot lately, which I haven't in a while.

Smiling.

* * *

My first day at Kamiak High School seemed to pass much more quickly than I could've ever imagined. In fact, here I was, standing outside of my last period, Science class.

"Is there any particular reason that there's flour in your hair?" Matt suddenly asked, waltzing in beside me. I flushed and quickly ran my fingers through my long blonde locks.

"Things got a little rowdy between Carly and Miles in Home Economics," I explained, still patting down my hair.

"It's here," Matt smiled and shook his head, gently reaching up to run his fingers through my hair. I shivered and hugged my book bag closer to my chest. "Sorry," he whispered, pulling away as soon as he noticed my shutter. I mashed my lips together and tried my best to give him a thankful look.