Chapter 17: Letting Light In

EDITED: 7/16/15 ✓

Chapter 17: Letting Light In

"So... you really live alone in this big house?" Matt asked softly as he scooted onto one of the kitchen stools near the marble island. I nodded lightly as I pulled out a few cooking supplies from the pantry.

"Yea, I do. I'm sorry I wasn't exactly being truthful before. This is just different for me, being open." I gave Matt an apologetic smile before placing a bowl on the opposite side of the island where he was sitting. Once I'd cracked a few eggs into the bowl, I spoke up.

"My father owned and invested property in this town and after Cal's death, I just didn't exactly fit in his life... so he decided the best thing for me would be this. I can't exactly feel much resentment toward him because it's not like I was happy living with him, either. Our relationship is definitely unorthodox but... I understand it now. I never did before though, Cal made sure that I believed in a world where nothing bad or cruel could ever happen. Typical big brother move, right?" I pushed down my threatening tears as I shook my head and smiled slightly.

Though talking about Cal was difficult, it also offered me a tremendous sense of relief.

"Yea," Matt nodded, looking a little aggrieved; yet, he did his best not to show it. "He sounds like a really good brother."

"He was the best," I laughed softly as I began pouring some flour into the same mixing bowl. "Would you like some pancakes, Matt? I'm not too bad of a cook, especially with breakfast recipes." I grinned as Matt's face lightened up.

"Sophia Jameson, is there anything you can't do?" Matt asked light-heartedly. I shot him a drawl-stare but let the small smile stay plastered on my lips. However, after a moment, a small realization dawned on me.

"I can't drive?" I flushed and shrugged. "I mean, I got my learners permit a year ago but I haven't really been on the road. I don't think I'm a very good driver," I admitted shamefully. Also, the fact that my father had brought me a car, which might I add would be arriving soon, was also a detail that had been stuck in the back of my mind.

Matt straightened and blinked with a smile on his face. "What? No way... but that's okay? Um... I don't know if you'd want this, but I don't mind teaching you a few things? It's not as hard as it seems."

"Are you sure?" I blinked, shocked by his proposal.

"Yea – I think we just figured out what we're going to do today," Matt nodded happily. I bit my smiling lip and shrugged, feeling a little excited.

"You want to spend the day together?" I asked lightly, shoving down the glee soaring through me.

"I want to spend as much time as I can with you," Matt stated honestly, causing a small coat of blush to rise in my cheeks.

* * *

"Okay, make sure you ease your foot off the gas before pressing on the brakes. If you switch too abruptly the car will jerk pretty aggressively. Also, keep your eyes on all of your mirrors to make sure you're aware of your surroundings," Matt laid out the law as he turned from the driver's seat to me, in the passenger seat. He had decided he knew the perfect spot for me to start practicing my driving skills; and so, here we were, in the middle of a nowhere farm town just on the outskirts of Mukilteo.

"Alright," I nodded softly and swallowed down my pressing nerves.

"You'll do fine," Matt broke out a smile to ease my tense expression. I shrugged uncertainly before he jumped out of the driver's side of the truck. In turn, I expectantly did the same and began walking over to meet him at the hood.