Chapter 15: Gravity

EDITED: 7/16/15 ✓

Chapter 15: Gravity

Matt

Sophia had fallen into a state of silence as she and I both exited the quiet hospital. With her eyes aware and open now, Sophia had her hands clasped tightly in front of her; her gaze glued securely to the floor. I frowned deeply for a moment as I caught a wrap of gaze tied tightly around both of her knuckles. I wanted to ask her about the strange wound, but decided against it knowing she wasn't in the clearest state of mind.

"My truck's over here," I whispered, sneaking another troubled glance at Sophia's dull expression. Her quick, short breaths worried me, but I knew the best thing I could for her right now is get her home.

With that thought, I quickly followed Sophia to the passenger side, opened the door, and then jogged over toward the driver's side. Once her and I were inside and seated, I started up the truck and pulled out onto the road.

"How are you feeling?" I asked warily after a long stretch of ten-minutes of silence. Now, fearfully, her short breaths had turned into staggered gasps. I didn't really catch or grasp when her skipped breaths had begun.

"I-I want to g-get out," Sophia whispered between gasps. I raised my eyebrows in confusion and took a quick glance at her.

"Sophia, I'm going to take you home so you can sleep this off," I explained gently. I wasn't completely sure what she'd ingested tonight, but I had a pretty good idea – and one that I wasn't too happy about accepting. Also, after a quick conversation with the ER physician, I'd been told that Sophia would be back in good shape after further rest and hydration. Though, they didn't fail to mention that they would be contacting Sophia guardians soon, since she's underage.

"I don't need your h-help!" Sophia suddenly blasted, pressing her hands to her face. "M-M-Matt! STOP!" She yelled as an unexpected sob wracked through her body. Frighteningly, I realized that Sophia was starting to hyperventilate in her seat. I ran my fingers desperately through my hair as I switched my gaze from her to the road, and back. I didn't know what to do – I didn't know how to help her and it was killing me.

"Sophia, I can't do that. I'm not going to just dump you on the side of the road," I pressed back, a little firmer than before. I prayed that she understood that I only wanted her safe. In fact, even though it pained me to say it, I didn't even care if she hated me after this – just as long as I got her home and sobered up.

Then, bewilderingly, Sophia reached over to tug open the passenger door as another sob wracked through her small frame. I frowned intensely and reached over swiftly to gather both of her small wrists in one of mine. Her tiny bones felt so frail in my large clasp; I hadn't realized how small she was, until now.

"Matt!" She yelled out as tears began streaming down her face. For a few moments she struggled against my iron hold but then became exhausted and fell back against the seat. I sighed sharply and tried to ignore her heart-wrenching tears as I pulled onto her recognizable street. Fortunately, I'd managed to make it all the way into her driveway before Sophia began struggling again. After parking, I freed her entwined wrists and swallowed tightly as she frantically yanked off her seat belt and jumped out of the cab. Watching her visibly shake, I quickly jumped out of the truck and jogged over to her.

"Sophia..." I breathed as she tripped on the porch and landed hardly on her hands and knees. Running up to her, I hesitantly placed my hand between her heaving shoulder blades. "Just let me help you, please. Then I'll leave you alone," I begged anxiously as she pushed up off the steps and backed away from me. However, after a few steps, she tripped over her own feet dizzily. Thankfully, I moved swiftly to catch her and pull her against my stable chest. Anxious now, I pulled us up and off the steps until I was leaning against her front door. All the while, Sophia continued to sob breathlessly and even struggle weakly against me.