Chapter 9

"Hey Dee!" Mikey tried keeping a smile for his injured brother, but failed doing so when he didn't speak to him back. He knew he wasn't going to get an answer, but it would be nice to hear a response –especially since he hadn't seen his brother in a week.

Mikey gently climbed to the side, being gentle not to disturb him from his complacent spot on the bed. He laid on his side, an elbow propped against the hard mattress of bed as his palm rested against his cheek.

"You know Don, you can at least try to say a word back to me." Mikey clamped his mouth together in pleading. "Please?"

Silence was his only response.

"Well, buddy, do you want to sleep?" All the turtle did was stare at the wallowing mess of books and blueprints on the ground. His eyes were somehow glued to them, like he purposely was ignoring his baby brother. Mikey grunted in frustration, reeling his brother's lanky arms on the side, he instead placed them against his stomach.

Mikey scratched his head for a bit. Don looked uncomfortable. The pain of his previous injuries still seemed to be getting to him. He rolled his brother to the side, noticing his back hurting from the cracked shell. That didn't seem good.

-But Don was still awake, his eyes were widened with an outspoken curiosity- the same look Mikey would always see in those hazel lit eyes of his when they were little kids. It made him smile a little. He wrapped his arms around him, and heard no protests. Even if he couldn't answer back, Mikey began to speak to him, simplistic ranting, really. He began by telling him how it was for the past week, retelling Donnie things about himself.

Somehow, he even got to the topic of rambling on about the color purple. Something bright withstood within him as he talked on to his damaged audience of one. Tomorrow – tomorrow for sure – they were going to help him regain his old self. He recalled his Sensei telling him that it wouldn't be as easy as he thought, but he already knew that.

They've saved the world multiple times, traveled through time and space, done the impossible and things are beyond imagination- so why couldn't they do this? For the next few days, it wouldn't be easy- or as long as Donnie was going to act like this. But he knew they could do it.

He had hope.

The genius terrapin was finally closing his eyes, his hand flying up to grab Mikey in a loose hold before a blissful slumber took over him.

As his brother fell into sleep, he couldn't help but stare at the mess of gauze and blood that seeped from his head. It felt nauseating to him just to look at it; imagining what kind of trauma it did to his brother was a feeling that sat even worse. This was going to feel like a never-ending nightmare.

Mikey wasn't one to pick favorites but, out of all his brothers, Donnie was the one who stuck with him the most. Even through the countless pranks he's pulled, he would still stick with him. As the two youngest, they were practically inferior to Leo and Raph, which made them a bond of their own. They were complete opposites and yet they were a great pair- they were the B-Team. Things wouldn't be the same without him by his side. If what he said was true- if Donnie really was gone…

No. Don will be okay. He must be.

With a small regretful sigh, Mikey closed his eyes and leaned himself towards his brother –feeling the abnormal cracks on his shell as a reminder his brother was damaged. He was hurt, he was broken. But that wasn't going to stop Mikey from helping his brother back to his old self.