Chapter 18

Leo slowly stood up; mediation is no help. Meditation was the only way to clear his mind from this whole incident and he was having trouble doing something he learned as a kid. And as he kept taking short steps, Leo could hear the television on. He looked at the clock that's hanging up on the dojo, it's three in the afternoon, the regular time Raph or Mikey takes Don to watch some television.

T.V. sounded good right now, it was what distracted him if meditation couldn't. But knowing Mikey who wants to encourage Don to relearn everything, they're probably watching Clifford the Big Red Dog. Leo grimaced at the thought of that old cartoon, he would rather watch Space Heroes.

The leader truffle a groan, but before he could walk out of the dojo, he could hear Mikey's muffled voice reverberate through the dojo. Leo waited a few seconds, before Mike repeated himself, this time more distinctly.

"Guys! Donnie's reacting to what I'm doing! Come here!"

Maybe meditation should be moved to the side for now.

Leo slowly walked out, questioning what 'development' Donnie has carried out since the current two weeks he came home. The last time Mikey yelled that Don was acknowledging what he was doing; Donnie simply offered a nod or a shake to the head. Leo rolled his eyes, Donnie probably didn't understand a thing and just aimlessly did so.

Once he showed up in the capacity, Raph was already gathering by Donnie, an enormous grin on his face. It wasn't forced like he usually does. It looked like Raphael was talking to Spike, his features soft and happy.

"What improvement did he made now Mikey?" Leo asked, not all too happy. His shoulder's slouch with a coerce smile that Leo was the master of pulling off. Even Splinter could fall for that fake smug, and it was something Leo was thankful for. He didn't need to go into any problems…

Mikey, who's shell was faced away from Leo, turned around, with a grin like Raph. "He's laughing."

Leo's appearance was everything but a smile, his forced smile turned to a frown, dull blue eyes met bright ones. "I'm going to my room." He told him; suddenly uninterested on Donnie's progress.

Mikey's mouth was fastened to a tight frown; he wasn't going to argue with Leo, he didn't do anything improper to upset him. Mike sighed wistfully, Leo was acting like how he did in Northampton. Broody and distant, and Mike wasn't going to argue, well not for now.

"Alright." He spoke delicately, observing his brother turn to his heels and watched him leave.

He turned his head to Don, who rose from the old couch and took a fast stride to where Leo went. It wasn't quick as Donnie probably wanted to go, but it was the best his battered body could do. Mikey, on the other hand, for several seconds, looked dumbstruck as he examined his immediate older brother limp in the hall. His blue eyes wide, shined with upcoming terror towards his brother's safety.

Donnie never acknowledged Leo before…why now? Mikey asked himself but had no time to think about it as he stood up and hastily rushed to where their rooms were. Mikey watched with a horror-stricken mind as Donnie tried grasping Leo's wrist and Leo, face twisted in what appeared like loathing, shoved him away from his doorway and slam the door shut.

Donnie blinked, and so did Mikey, at the harsh noise. Mike cautiously approached Donnie, who sat on the ground and clasped his purple mask tails and gave them a pulling – as if they were putting him comfort.

"Hey, uh, Don. Do you mind going to Raphie for a sec?"

Mikey set a hand on his immediate older brother's shoulder, softly massaging his muscles; fragile, weak yet tense. Within his youthful eyes, above tired bags that yearned for sleep but refused to take rest, a small yet delicate smile caressed through freckled cheeks.

Hazel met baby blue — sorrow met sympathy. Donatello's eyes glistened as tears liquidated in his gaze but refused to leave their corners. His mouth gaped slightly, his breaths hitched sorely, as if a million words that yearned to be heard choked in his throat and congested within his mind — his broken, damaged, fragile mind.

Mikey tried to keep the tiredness from his eyes but his reassurance faltered. His anger towards his eldest and most stubborn brother bled through his mask of brotherly comfort. Donatello looked away, ripping his eyes off the orange clad turtle and cringing at the throbbing pain that his stitches bore from the pressure. The weakened turtle shut his eyes tight and grit his teeth, his once hidden tears revealing themselves and streaming down his pale cheeks. Mikey bit his lips, pursing his expression out of guilt.

"What's goin' on?"

Raphael appeared from the corners of the hallway, staring at the two brothers. His fierce, emerald green eyes were touched by curiosity and concern.

Mikey stared at his older brother with a worried look — a sound and blinking gaze that hid a wild frustration.

"Uh... Nothing, dude. Hey. Can you do me a solid and take Donnie with you? Pleeeaaassseeee! Hook a turtle up!"

Mikey gave Raph the cutest, most pitiful puppy eyes he could muster from his arsenal of puppy dog expressions — a special skill and collection of adorable pouts gained from being the youngest of a bunch of four brothers. He folded his hands together sweetly and brought them up to his chest.

Innocently, he smiled; made an impeccable grin that made Raph swore he saw an angel halo above his head.

His genuine concern turned to a glare of pure annoyance — a sensation that Raph got around Mikey a bit too often.

"Alright, alright you big doof — I'll do it! Jeez. Ya don't have to give me the puppy eyes!"

He would've practically yelled if there wasn't a cowering Donnie sitting in the corner.

"Aw! But you love the Puppy Dog Pout!"

He mused, obviously having fun with his little taunts. Raph, however, couldn't say the same for himself.

"It was cute when we were five but now it's just annoying. Now get Don over here before I decide to slap your face."

He said to him in a sharp tone. Then, with a hint of joy, he grinned at his youngest brother, his eyes lighting up with the same joy he had the first time they had left the sewers. For a second, the red clad turtle chuckled at his little brother's lighthearted joke and Mikey, noticing the effect, smiled back.

"I knew you still loved it."

Even with all this tension, they were still able to act like teenagers. The thought gave them a bit of joy — a bit of hope.

Mikey turned his head over to Donnie, his eyes brightened with a soft smile curled to his lips.

"Come on, Don. You gotta go with Raphie. Don't worry about it, bro. He'll take care of you."

He reached out his hand for his purple clad brother to take. Donatello could only stare at his outstretched fingers as if there was a ticking time bomb in its palm. With hesitation, he reeled back, curling into a secure ball with his knees covering his face and body.

Mikey sighed as he pulled his hand away, staring at Raph once more with a softer expression glistening in his eyes.

Raphael blinked at the turtle.

"I'll take him."