Chapter 15

"You are brave Donatello." Splinter whispered, using his thumb to rub Don's arm. His son was still in fact unconscious after the hours he had fallen into a seizure. –After these past few days of slow progress, he hoped the seizure wouldn't stop his improvement.

"You had managed to escape the Shredder, during the week I meditated –waiting for any clues to indicate you were living. I have found none. I have thought you were dead and did not came looking for you myself. I am deeply sorry, my son." Splinter took a deep breath, brushing off Don's cheek. He towered himself almost discreetly to his son.

"I have failed you, Donatello, my son…" He slowly took hold of his once intelligent son's hand, holding it with great care. He was about to release his hand and slowly retrieve to his bedroom, when the hand he was holding, suddenly tightened the hold.

Splinter looked down to see Donatello's reddish brown eyes looking up at him. "My son…" Splinter could breathe a little easier now, rubbing his hand. Though awake, Donnie's face still held a mixture of confusion laced with pain. That pain- that soft look of suffering- was a reminder; of all the things, he couldn't do for his family, of what he couldn't afford to lose. Within Donatello's almond eyes, he saw Tang Shen, staring at him through the fire that scorched her gaze, mortified. He couldn't do much about it.

"I am sorry, my son." Splinter whispered, drawing Donnie to a hug. He looked down to see the bandaged head and rubbed his scalp around the wound.

The two were quiet, Splinter continuing to hug him while Don draped his arms around his father. His once intelligent son was far from being okay and Splinter knew this was going to be a long recovery. He needed to discuss Leonardo's recent behavior, but for now, he'll stay with Donatello.

Donnie pressed his forehead on his father's chest, quietly listening to his Sensei's heartbeat. His whiskers bristled the top of Donatello's head. He could hear a murmur from his father but paid no attention as he leaned his body further, comfortably adjusting to his hold.

Splinter kissed his son's head, Donatello's eyes slowly closing as his father held him tight. This time he would make sure he wouldn't make that mistake again.