Chapter 24

"I have to go." Kirby said, his voice still dull. He put on his black winter coat, and placed his beanie on his head. "April's been really sick, and I told her I was going to be out for less than an hour."

"I hope April feels better." Leo told him, his voice drowned to a whisper. "How has she been with… the news?"

"Not so well." Kirby replied honestly. "She's been wanting to come to see him, but with the flu she's been having, I don't want her to be near him until she's fully okay and, now we know how Donatello reacts with other people. It's best if we give him some space." The man adjusted his beanie, shoving his fists into his pockets.

"Yeah." Leo responded glumly, not sure what to say. He hasn't seen April since Donnie's capture. And since then, April's been the one searching for Donnie in case he was never kidnapped, and somehow managed to escape the fight before they could take him. But April didn't last too long in the blizzard, after Mikey was able to get Donnie home himself, April's father didn't allow her to leave. And days later, she became sick and haven't been able to shake the bug off.

"Anyway, call me in case of anything new happens, alright?" Kirby turned to the exit of the lair, huffing at the realization he has to push through the snow to get home.

And Leo nodded, watching Kirby leave and all he heard was his snowy footsteps. Leo turned, hearing the grunts of Raph hitting the punching bag in the dojo, and he knew Mikey was in the room with Donnie.

Leo looked at the lab doors, forever wishing the lights would be on and to hear the soft racketing of Donnie doing who knows what. Since Donnie's capture, the lab was seamlessly dead. Without his brother in there, the lab had no real point anymore.

With a heavy sigh, Leo retreated to his bedroom. Maybe one day everything'll go back to normal, even if that day won't be for a while.