Chapter 10

August

Seven in the morning is when my alarm clock notified me that it was time to get up. To my surprise, Tiana was already awake. I didn't see her but I heard her and the voice of three other women chatting about in the kitchen. I showered, brushed my teeth, and put on some sweats and a t-shirt until I needed to be getting dressed for work. When I went downstairs, I received a warm welcome from four beautiful ladies: Tiana, Mia, Ms. Jacqueline, which is Tiana's mom, and an older woman who I wasn't familiar with.

"There he go! Good morning, baby." Ms. Jacqueline stood and brought me into a warm hug. "I ain't seen you since that New Years party I had." She said after examining my face.

"Good mawnin', mama. And I'm sorry, I been so caught up wit work and nah' I gotta look fa' a place ta' stay." I poked my bottom lip out.

"What the hell happened to the house you was staying in? That was a nice damn house."

"You rememba' my galfriend Nina?" I asked. All of a sudden, I heard Mia choking. "You good?" I checked on her.

"I'm fine." She said, fanning her red face.

I looked back down at Ms. Jacqueline who confirmed she did remember Nina. "I broke up wit ha yestaday so I'm just gon' let ha have da house. It ain't no point in fightin' over it, I just hope she can afford it 'cause she don't work." I explained.

"She don't work?!" Ms. Jacqueline exclaimed. "So why you with her?!"

"She in school, mama." I laughed.

"I was in school, taking care of Tiana, and working to pay my own bills." She said. "Take a seat at the table." She said.

I took a seat at the table and spoke up. "I'm sorry, good mawnin' everybody."

Everyone said good morning back. "August, I know you don't know her but this is my best friend, Ms. Freida. That's Mia's mama." Ms. Jacqueline said.

"Hey, Ms. Freida. I'm August." I introduced myself.

"Hi, August. It's nice to meet you." She smiled brightly. It's obvious that she has the same bubbly personality as Mia does.

"Likewise, ma'am."

"So, you know my daughter Mia?" She asked causing Tiana to giggle.

"Yeah, I know little miss Mia." I said, smiling up at Mia. She noticed and blushed hella hard. Tiana noticed what just took place and looked at me with a look of bewilderment.

"She's your friend?" Ms. Freida asked me. "Yeah, she's my friend." I answered.

I heard her mumble "not for long" under her breath. My jaw dropped in astonishment at the women in the room. All of them have some kind of pettiness and all have hope for Mia and I to be together. I already know just who mentioned Mia and I to them. I know Mia couldn't have said anything like that because she isn't interested in me like that. She has her own things going on with Scott.

"Tiana, what you been telling these women?" I laughed.

"I didn't say anything. I just told Ms. Freida that I was trying to get you and Mia together for the longest and I told her a few reasons why and she rolled with it." She laughed.

"All of y'all petty." I said.

"P-E-to the-T-T-Y." Mia cheered causing everyone to break out into laughter.

[Mia]

At ten this morning, everyone left to go on about their day. August and Tiana went to work together in his car, our moms left to do whatever they do, and I went about my way to work at this daycare I've been working at for the past two years.