Chapter Three

When the bell rang for the students to go to first period, half the class left, including Amanda and Leslie. Hm. I guess happy bonding time wasn't going to happen in first period. There were about ten kids remaining and none of them were sitting around me. I was fine with sitting in the back of the room away from everyone else. I didn't want to become friends with anyone I didn't have to. Mr. Matthews took this time to call roll. "Alright guys. I'm calling roll so pay attention. Chris. Mira. Katelyn. Nicol..." For some reason he paused and turned to stare at me.

I raised my eyebrows at him. "Yes?" I asked wondering why he didn't finish my name.

"Your name is Nicolina?" He asked with slight awe in his voice. I was taken aback. Why did it matter? It's just a name. I looked at him with a confused look. "Yes, Sir. My name is Nicolina Marie Cook. Why?"

He shook his head slightly. "It's just an unusual name. It's beautiful." He gave me a small smile and went back to calling out names. Okay. That was weird. Mira was an unusual name also but I didn't see him drooling over her name. I tried not to think about how I felt when he was staring at me like that. Hell, it's not even my real name but when he said it and it was directed towards me, I got butterflies. I wasn't exactly happy about the weak feeling he gave me. I pushed my feelings down and cleared my head. When I zoned back in to the class I saw that Mr. Matthews had made his way to the front of the classroom.

He clapped his hands together. "Alright guys. This is your Creative Writing class. This year you will be writing essays, stories, poems, songs, anything you can think of, you'll be writing it. Sometimes you'll be given topics to write about and then sometimes you'll freehand." He stopped and raised his eyebrows at us. "Any questions?" He asked. No one said anything so he just nodded. "Alright. Free day. Don't get to loud."

I smiled at how he had basically said we'd be working really hard in here, and then he gave us a free day. I was thrilled I wouldn't have to work, but it was funny none the less. I watched him silently as he sat down. For some reason I wanted to spend my free time talking to him, though I'd never say that out loud. I turned back to my desk and grabbed my phone out of my purse. I saw that I had a text from William. When I opened it, I only got to read, "Hey, come to.." and then Mr. Matthews called my name.

"Nikki!" he sounded bewildered and when I looked up, his face confirmed it. "Yes, Sir?" I asked calmly. This bewildered him more. "You do realize that you're holding a cellphone. In the middle of class." I was confused by this. So what if I was holding my phone. I nodded at him not understanding what he was getting at. "You do realize that you aren't supposed to have a phone out in class right?" He asked in a tone that implied I was a stupid infant.

I looked at him evenly. "No Sir. I was not aware of this." Then I thought about William. Why the hell hadn't he told me this, and why was he texting me in class if I wasn't supposed to have a phone? "William didn't tell me that..." Mr. Matthews sighed. "I guess I have to give you break detention. Sorry." I rolled my eyes. It was my first day for God's sake. This was going to be a fun year. I wonder what else I don't know that's prohibited... "Fine. But what is break and when is it?" I asked. He looked at me as if I had grown two heads. "Break is in between second and third period and it's basically where the kids go and eat a bag of chips or something so they'll last until lunch."

I was confused as to why they would do this. And the goverenment wonders why America has an obesity problem. Their brunch consists of fattening chips and sodas... I shook my head. "That is so bizzare." I responded. He looked suprised at my response. "You didn't have break at your old school?" He asked. "No, Sir. I've never been in an actual school. I've been home schooled from birth." I shrugged. He understood then because he nodded and made an ah sound.

I sighed and placed my phone back in my bag and sat back in my desk. I didn't know what to do now. We still had at least thirty minutes left in the period and I didn't exactly want to get friendly with the natives so I pulled a book out of my purse. Of course I had to be reading Romeo and Juliet. I had never read it before and Dan said that I needed to know how NOT to fall in love. I asked Jane, one of the agents that I had a mission with in California, what it was about. She simply replied that it was stupid and both Romeo and Juliet died. I had laughed and was instantly curious as to how they died. So of course now I'm reading it. I began reading and within two minutes Mr. Matthews interrupted me. Great.

"Oh I see you're reading Romeo and Juliet. Have you read it before or is this your first time?" He asked. His face gave off that he was geniuely curious, but something in his eyes told me that he just wanted to talk to me. Yes. I was taught to read facial expressions, body language, the whole shabbang.

"It's my first time reading it. I was told that it would teach me what not to do when it came to love." I smiled as I recalled Dan's words.

Mr. Matthews laughed. It sounded beau- No. Not no but HELL no. Don't think about his laugh like that. I surpressed the thoughts as soon as he began to speak. "Well yes. That's a good way to look at it I guess." He smiled at me. Why did he affect me so weirdly. I simply nodded and went back to reading.

By the end of the period I was almost done with the book. It kind of pissed me off that they couldn't just tell their families to go on somewhere and they just be together. But of course Shakespeare had to make everything difficult. When the bell rang I sighed and put the book back in my purse and grabbed my notebooks. I felt someone staring at me and turned to see that it was Mr. Matthews. I don't know why, but in that one moment my mind started racing. I turned around and walked out the door headed to Mr. Hancock's Trigometry class where I was sure I wasn't going to pay attention.

Undercover: A RomanceOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara