Chapter 8

8:28 pm. Nate and I sat in the Hotel room with a bunch of lamps on.

I sat on one bed, while Nate was lying on his stomach on his own bed, watching the puppy, who was waddling around his bed, very carefully.

I had a plate of food beside me, as did Nate. But Nate's was empty. And not him eating it, (if only) it's from the dog eating it. We weren't sure how hungry the little guy was, so I ordered Room Service, and basically pigged out, and I was hoping Nate would eat too. But the only thing he's eaten was the rare Mozzarella Stick, which he got from the dog plate.

"He's pretty cute." I say to him, as he contently eyed the dog.

"Yeah... He is.." Nate sighed, watching him.

"Since you're keeping him.." He needs a name." I say.

"A name?"

"Yeah. A name. Like. Spot, Lucky, Spot--" I just said Spot twice. Wow. Okay. "Y'know. Anything. You found him, you name him."

Nate was silent for a moment, his arms folded in front of him, with his chin resting in them.

"There's like a millions of names to chose from." I say. "How about, Skylo? Or something fancy, like--"

"Survivor."

I look up as he said that.

"Survivor?" I ask.

"Yeah. He survived in a Garbage can up until now, who knows how long he's been there. He's a little warrior." Nate explained quietly, as the puppy continued to flop around.

"I like it." I say to him, as the puppy waddled up to him, lightly hitting Nate with his paw.

"And Judging by the way he's acting, I think he likes it too."

I don't know why I think this, but I believe Survivor, who's only known Nate for a few hours, has a high level of respect for him. I mean, it's like he knows Nate took him out of the trash can.

The amount of admiration, this dog shows towards Nate, proves that this dog isn't leaving Nate's side. Survivor strongly looks up to Nate now. And it's quite cute.

My thoughts were cut off, when I see Nate pick up a French fry, giving it too the dog.

He took it from him, devouring it.

"Poor, little guy.." Nate sighed, holding up anther French fry. "You must be so hungry."

The puppy just kept eating whatever Nate gave him. Poor thing is hungry.

Too bad Nate won't eat his own food.

But for some reason, seeing Nate happy for once since everything happened, actually calmed me.

"Hey, Nate?" I ask.

"Hmm?" He asked, as he looked up.

"Do you regret anything that's happened?" I ask him, knowing he'd have something to say.

He looked down at me, a hint of confusion and sadness filling his eyes.

"Yes." He sighed. "Everything that's happened in the past 5 days." He sighed. "I regret leaving her. I regret not trying to fix it.." He sighed.

The dog clearly understood something here. As soon as Nate mentioned something upsetting, he curled up in the crook of his neck, curling up in his arm.

Nate looked down at Survivor for a moment, before looking at me again, with a small sigh.

"I regret a lot of what's happened, Hunter. I wish I never made her believe I didn't love her... Because I do... More than anything." He said quietly, his gaze flicking from me to the puppy who was sleeping on his arm.

Nate then looked down, shaking his glasses off his face before wiping his face on his sleeve.

"She's the one light in my life that never died. The one source of warmth I had when it was too cold to go on." He started quietly. "The one who I could actually rely on."

I saw him yawn, as he continued to talk. "But, I mean. All of its gone.. And it's my fault." He yawned again, lowering his head to his arms, where the puppy was.

He yawned once more, his eyes closing. "I just hope I can fix everything."

And he was out. Like a light. I sat there for a moment, finishing off my Pizza.

Though I know his chances are slim, I know he'll find what he's looking for sooner or later.