Chapter 13

María's P.O.V.

His girlfriend? Here it was. The question I'd never been asked before. So much pain. So much unrecquited love. So many failed relationships. And here he was, looking and sounding perfect. In fact, it was so perfect I was sort of scared by what may come next. We'd done everything backwards. We had what we thought at the time was meaningless sex then we each took another step to be together. Later, we said 'I love you' to each other. And now he was asking me to be his girlfriend. I couldn't help but think that this couldn't get any better. That it could only get worse. I just looked into his eyes while I thought of all this, his initial smile fading as the seconds ticked by. "Well?" He pushed. "I...I don't know what to say." "Say yes. Say you want to be with me too. No matter where life takes us." I look into his eyes and get lost in the love I find in them. I decide to leave all my fears behind and let go. I want to be with him just as much as he wants to be with me. "Yes. I'll be your girlfriend." He crushes his lips against mine and we share a small, sweet kiss that says it all. It's official. I'm taken. The suitor? Cristian Tello. 

Cristian's P.O.V.

Yes. How I loved to hear that three-letter word coming out of her mouth. My girlfriend. I kept holding her and she was just tracing patterns on my arms, looking carefully at the tattoos that decorate them. She pressed her lips softly against by left upper arm and just stayed there, lying her cheek on my bicep. I wrapped her in my arms completely, holding the back of her thighs with one arm and the small of her back with the other. In one swift move, I stood up with her in my arms and directed us to the bed. "So, we have a huge party tomorrow and we have to rest." I lay her on what will be her side of the bed and, as if on cue, she yawns. "Do you think we could give Ale a ride?" She mumbles sleepily, her eyes closed. "Sure, love. She's your friend, right?" I close the sliding door that leads to the balcony and turn off the lamp. I get into bed and pull the covers over us. "Mhm." She mumbles, nodding slowly against the pillow. I pull her close to me and she lays her head on my shoulder. "Sleep well." I whisper but her breathing has already steadied, leaving me alone with my thoughts. 

María's P.O.V.

So I got up bright and early that morning and went shopping with my friend Ale. Turns out she was staying really close to Cristian's house so we'll probably be spending a lot of time together. We catch up on everything and I explain to her in larger detail how it all came to be with Cristian. "I sort of sat beside Álvaro's dad and brother in the final. I think his dad grew fond of me." "You did? Really? Well, that'll probably give me some extra points." She elbows me. I add: "In fact, he gave me some advice in regards to Cristian and it worked. He's very observant. I like him, too. And Raúl is awesome. Haven't met Álvaro yet, though."

We just keep talking while we are looking over the clothes in all the little shops. I finally decide on a short, bright yellow cotton dress with a flowy skirt, a pair of neon pink pumps and some hoop earrings. Ale picked a pink, flower print dress (because that's her thing) and some platform shoes. We took a taxi back to Cristian's place where he was waiting for us with lunch. We ate and hung out a while before us girls slipped away to start getting ready. I look at myself in the mirror of the master bathroom feeling good about my appearance. I'd swept my normally uncontrollable mane in a messy up do and I'd applied a shade of lipstick very similar to the color of my pumps, neon pink. I went downstairs first, leaving Ale in the guest bathroom getting ready.

As I walked down the stairs, I saw Cristian in the living room looking at his phone. He was very casual in a t-shirt, some jeans and nice shoes but looking as delicious as ever, his sexy tattoos clearly visible. He noticed my presence in the room and looked up, gaping at me. I smiled, blushed and looked at the ground while I walked to him. "We'll have none of that." he stated as I approached him. When I was within his reach, he took my chin between his fingers and lifted my head. "Chin up. I guarantee you'll be the most beautiful woman there." he pulled me closer, our bodies touching, and whispered. "I will be the envy of every man at that party." He kissed my cheek and I blushed, trying to keep my chin up for his sake. "You're exaggerating. You're just a natural-born Casanova." I push him away playfully but he just keeps his hand on my waist, not letting me move one inch. "Ahem." Ale interrupted and Cristian and I burst into an uncontrollable fit of laughter. Ale joined in once she was downstairs.