Chapter 26

Cristian's P.O.V.

I’d lost count on how many women I’d slept with. It was around ten. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get her out of my mind. I had fallen deeply in love with her and a one-night-stand didn’t satisfy me anymore. I needed love.

I was tossing and turning in one of the few nights I’d stayed alone since we had called it quits. It was Christmas Eve and I didn’t feel like pretending I was ok. I stared at the ceiling until I fell asleep imagining she came through my door in the middle of the night and woke me with a kiss…

The call I received the next morning destroyed me even more than I already was. Álvaro Morata called me Christmas morning and spoke in a low voice: “Cristian, I’m calling you because I think there’s something you should know.” “Why are you whispering?” “Everyone’s still asleep. Listen, I invited Pedro over to celebrate with my family like I do every year.” I frowned. What the fuck do I care? “And he brought a girl. He brought María.”

I opened my eyes huge and my phone slipped from my hand and crashed on the floor before I could stop it. I picked it up, swallowed and asked with a low voice: “Are they together?” “Yes.” I closed my eyes and this time felt like throwing the phone against the wall on purpose. “How do you know?” “I saw them kiss. And they stayed in the same room last night.”

I sat down and felt my heart break into pieces worse than ever. This time I hadn’t lost her because of the distance or her family. I’d lost her because she’d fallen in love with someone else. I’d lost her for good. “Are you ok, man?” “No, Álvaro. Not really. But thank you for telling me. I appreciate it.” “No problem. I’m sorry, bro. You know where to find me until Three King’s Day.” I knew he stayed in his family’s house with his closest friends throughout all the Christmas holidays.

“Yeah, man. Thanks again. I’ll see you.” “Take care, Cristian. Bye.” I hung up with him and brought my hands to my head, letting my body fall on my bed. I can’t believe this. I can’t believe I’ve lost her. The moments I spent with her start replaying in my mind and I can’t believe she would just stop loving me like that. No. It can’t be. My eyes popped open because I got an idea. There was only one reason Álvaro had reminded me of how he spent his Christmas holidays.

María's P.O.V.

One year ago, I would’ve never even dreamed I would stay in Morata’s family’s house. Let alone sleeping in the arms of his best friend in the guest room. We had stuck to just sleeping because I didn’t dare do anything here where his family could hear us, even less than me: always-respectful Pedro.

I had been awake for a while and just watched him sleep, his arm around me. He was so sweet. The sweetest guy I had ever met, without a shadow of a doubt. But I still felt like I couldn’t love him like I’d loved before. My thoughts drift towards him by themselves. I can’t control them.

Pedro starts stirring and looks at me through the slits of his eyes. He smiles and tightens his arm around me. “Good morning.” He says groggily. “Morning.” I say as I crank my neck and kiss him lightly. “This is the best Christmas morning ever.” He says, his eyes closed, wrapping both his arms around me. I feel the guilt bring a pang to my chest. I don’t love him like he loves me. “You’re so sweet.” Not a lie. I focus on not lying to him but I never say the whole truth. I kiss his cheek and sit on the bed. “Should we go downstairs?”

We both get dressed and go downstairs to watch the opening of presents. I hadn’t known what to get Pedro so I’d gotten him shin guards. I hoped it was enough as Marta begun with her gift opening. It was a couple of clothing items from her brother. Her mom and dad had gotten her a set of diamond necklace and earrings, beautiful and delicate just like her. Álvaro opened his and it was a few polo shirts that I knew he loved to wear but I wouldn’t say in front of his family.

His parents got him (and Marta, it was more or less a combined gift) a vacation apartment in Ibiza. Pedro began opening his presents and the Morata family had gotten him a collection of books that Álvaro knew he loved and was missing. When he got to open mine, I was embarrassed. I thought maybe he wouldn’t like it and it’d been better if he would’ve opened it in private.

I felt so ridiculous when he opened it and found a pair of personalized shin guards. I knew his were “Joma” generic so I thought he would like having a personalized pair. One said Pedro and the other Mosquera with his number in both. They had two different shots of him playing but with the effect of a sketch and in black and white. As he held them in his hand, his mouth was agape. “What, what? What is it?” asked Marta, excited and jumping in her seat. I bit my lip as he revealed them to everyone but what I saw was genuine awe in their faces. They smiled and seemed to like them. But I only cared what he thought.

“Do you like them?” I asked, afraid of his answer. “Like them? I love them. They’re perfect. Better than if I would’ve gotten them for myself.” He smiled at me and looked into my eyes. It was then that I knew he meant it. He reached out and did something I wouldn’t have found him capable of doing when I met him. He slid his hand behind my neck and pulled me to him, kissing me in front of Álvaro’s family. I kissed him back and kept my eyes closed as he separated from me. I was a little separated from him on the couch so he pulled me to him and I buried my face in his chest, shame taking over me.

A collective “Aaaaawwww!” followed from everyone in the room. I felt my cheeks grow warm but I know my face doesn’t get red. “Now open yours.” He whispered as he produced a small box from the side table and I knew it had to be some expensive jewelry. I took the little box in my hand and looked at him skeptically. I opened it and found a necklace unlike any I thought I’d ever see in my life: a small, diamond-encrusted Real Madrid crest hanging from a delicate silver chain. My jaw dropped and I had no idea what to say.

“Let us see.” Álvaro said, excited. I showed it to everyone and they had to move forward to appreciate the design. Álvaro’s reaction was similar to mine. “Oh my God. Pedro, my friend, you’ve outdone yourself.” He said as he patted him on the shoulder. “It’s really beautiful, María.” Added Susana. “I can only imagine how much it means to you.” Marta knew how much of a Madridista I was and had a slight idea of how much this meant to me. “I’m gonna go get breakfast ready. Someone want to help me?” Marta and Álvaro followed their mom at her request.

“So? What do you think?” He asked, taking my empty hand in both of his. “I don’t have words to describe how perfect this is.” I looked up at him and tears were forming in my eyes. “Thank you.” I whispered. I took his face in my hands, leaving the box on my lap, and kissed him deeply. We took advantage of being alone and our kiss became long and passionate. He finally separated from me and kissed my forehead. I felt so incredibly guilty because his love was so pure and mine definitely couldn’t compare.

“Here, let me put it on for you.” I gave him the box, lifted my hair and gave my back to him. He presented the necklace and hooked it. He slid his hands to my bare shoulders and caressed them. I felt his breathing on my neck before he kissed it. He kissed under my ear, all of my neck until he reached my shoulder and kept kissing me. “Ahem.” Someone interrupted and I had nowhere to hide my face. He wrapped his arms around me from behind when Álvaro appeared through the door. “Breakfast is ready.” He said and started chuckling as he left the room. I turned around and gave him a quick kiss before following Morata toward the kitchen.