Chapter 18

María's P.O.V.

I couldn’t sleep after I’d locked myself in the bathroom to cry. Much less after I told him that I loved him. It was so painful to leave him like this. When he’s unsuspecting. I looked down at his sleeping face and a half-smile appeared on mine. This man loved me. He really did. And I loved him. It felt like a fairytale. But now it was ending and there was no ‘happily ever after’.

I stroked his cheek and a tear slipped down mine. It landed right on his nose and I froze, thinking he might wake up. He stirred but was still fast asleep. I took the opportunity to slip out, suitcase in hand, like all of this had been a dream. At the airport, I couldn’t help the tears falling down my cheeks. They poured out uncontrollably every time I remembered him. I brushed them off and kept my head inside my hoodie.

At around 8:00AM, when we were boarding the plane, he started calling me. I bit my lip hard so as to not break down crying and shoved my phone in my pocket. It vibrated again letting me know I had a voicemail. The phone rang again and I ignored it. Another voicemail. I think I actually felt my heart breaking into pieces as the stewardess said to turn all devices off. I took my phone out and saw the two missed calls and the voicemails.

What I had overlooked was a text message from him. “I knew something was wrong. Why did you lie to me? Please tell me you’re ok. I’m worried. I love you.” I covered my mouth and felt my insides churn. I clutched my stomach and started crying. “Miss, excuse me. I’m going to have to ask you to turn off your device. We’re about to take off.” I quickly replied because I thought I owed him that much. “I’m ok. And I’m sorry. I love you more than you will ever know.” I sent it, turned off my phone and used the sheets the airline provided to cover my head and cry.

I bet everyone could hear me sniffling but I didn’t care. This was the most painful thing in the world. I felt like my stomach had a hole in it. No matter how hard I clutched it, it just kept growing. 

Cristian's P.O.V.

She left me. Goddammit, she left me. That was all I could think was I paced my room and my eyes stung. I brought my hands to my head and crouched, screaming to let it all out. “Aaahhh!” the pain was unbearable. I didn’t know whether it was permanent, whether she didn’t want to see me again, whether she never loved me at all. I only had a text that said she was ok and that made it a little better.

I decided not to wait a second longer and took off to Álvaro’s. Her friend Ale would know what’s going on. As I got there, it was clear on Álvaro’s face that he also knew what was going on. I pushed him aside and went into his house. “Where is she? Where’s your little girlfriend?” “She’s in the kitchen.” I went in and I must have looked like a madman but she regarded me with pity because it was obvious she knew everything. “Why?” That was the only question that came to my mind.

“Because her parents made her. She loves you more than anything in the world.” “Then why wouldn’t she fight for us?” “Because you have to understand: her life can’t be you. She has nothing here except you.” She stopped me on my tracks with her words. It was true. What was she supposed to do here? Follow my every step like a puppy? “I could find her a job. She’s a really good sports writer. I could pull some strings.” She looked up at me and smiled. “Well don’t tell me. Tell her.” “She won’t answer the phone.” “Well then, go after her. Show her you mean it. That you want her to move back.”

She shrugged as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. “But I wouldn’t even know where to go. I don’t know where she lives.” “I do. I’ll help you.” I hadn’t noticed Álvaro come in the room but at this point, he had reached her and wrapped his arms around her from behind. “She helped me with my happiness. The least I could do is return the favor.” I nodded and half-smiled in awe. It was possible. I could go after her and bring her back with me. “What are you waiting for? Call Álvaro when you get there and I’ll tell you where to go.” “Thank you.” I said very softly because my emotions were getting the better of me. I was going to get her back and nobody was going to stop me.