Chapter 21

Cristian's P.O.V.

I could swear I could feel the doubt seeping through her body as I held her, as I kissed her. Yes, it would be hard. I was lying to her. But it was my job to comfort her so I did just that. We spent that night watching movies and laughing and eating junk food. These were the things I couldn’t do with anyone else. I enjoyed her so much. I was supposed to be the brave one but I myself wasn’t sure how I was going to live without her. I’d just have to go through the days thinking I did the right thing for letting her follow her dream.

I went to the kitchen to throw away all the trash and when I came back, she was fast asleep on the couch. I smiled before taking her body in my arms and carrying her upstairs. She didn’t wake up until I tried to set her down on the bed. She jumped, obviously getting the feeling that she was falling in her sleep. She clutched my arms and I smiled down at her. “Everything’s fine. Go back to sleep.” She smiled and closed her eyes, loosening her grip around my arms. I started to move away and she asked: “Where are you going? Come to bed with me.” “I was just going to turn off the light.” I scoff. I do as I said I would and take my shirt off before crawling under the covers with her.

I take her in my arms and she lets out a complacent sigh. She kisses my shoulder blade and whispers: “I love you. I want this moment to last forever.” “I wish it could.” I say as I press her body closer. “I love you, too.” She caressed my back with her fingertips. I thanked God silently that it was pitch-dark and our eyes hadn’t accustomed to it yet because I was the one on the verge of tears now. I don’t want to let her go. I want to stay like this forever. How will I fall asleep thinking she’s far away? Not having her in my arms? Not being able to protect her if anything goes wrong? Her breathing steadies and I try to fall asleep thinking I didn’t make love to her one last time. But the night had been so perfect, I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

María's P.O.V.

We’re standing in the gate waiting for my plane to board and none of us has said much all morning. At this point, I feel like I’m about to blow up. I can’t. I can’t do this. “I’m not going. And you can’t make me.” I start storming back where we came from because I resolved I wasn’t going. I want to stay with him and I don’t care about anything else. “María, stop.” It takes him two steps to catch me. He takes my wrist in his hand and pulls me back to him. “No, Cristian. I don’t want to go. I’m not leaving you.” I look up at him, pleading. “Love,” he says sweetly, a half-smile on this face, while he caresses my cheek with the back of his hand.

“This is as hard for me as it is for you. I’m doing it because I want what’s best for you. If you don’t go, at some point, you’ll blame me for not letting you live your own life. So, as much as it pains me, go. Live your life. But know I’ll always be here. And I’ll always love you.” The tears had already started flowing but when he finished, I started outright sobbing and threw myself into his arms. “Cristian.” I whisper in his ear sweetly because he just said the most beautiful words a man can say before he separates from his beloved. I caress his hair and try to continue in between sobs as he holds me close.

“I love you so much. I know you’re right but I feel like my chest is going to explode. Like I can’t live with this.” “Yes you can. I know it feels unbearable now but it will pass.” I clutch him closer and he strokes my hair. “In the meantime, I’ll visit you right before pre-season.” I gasp out of pure joy and separate to look at him. He has a huge smile on his face. “You will?” It doesn’t feel that horrible anymore knowing I’ll be here, in his arms, very soon. “Yes.” He says softly before he presses his lips against mine. It’s a very sweet kiss and I find myself smiling as I kiss him.

Suddenly, my plane is called but we don’t stop kissing. Instead, I take his head in my hands and kiss him with a greater urgency. The pang in my chest is back and I’m not ready to let go. He starts pushing on my hips and our lips part. “I love you. Go. I’ll be there in a couple of days.” He brushes off the only tear left on my face as I smile and somehow find the courage to turn around and head to my gate.