Chapter 27

Cristian's P.O.V.

I'd resolved I was going to Álvaro's house on New Year's Eve. I needed her to tell me to my face that she'd moved on. That she loved another. I needed some closure, at least. I called Álvaro to let him know: "Álvaro, I'll be at your house tomorrow. I need to see her." I didn't even ask permission to invade his house.

"Honestly, man, I hinted that you should when we talked but now I'm not so sure. Maybe you should just let her go. She seems happy." I didn't want to tell him that he understood women as much as I understood politics in Russia. "Álvaro, please. I need closure. If your family doesn't want me there, I'll just talk to her and leave." "Nonsense. My family will be delighted. But don't say I didn’t warn you." I hung up with him and started packing...

I was outside his house and the nerves were taking over. I might say that I just wanted closure but I secretly hoped that she would choose me. That's what Álvaro had warned me about. But there was no going back now. I knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer.

His mom did and welcomed me in: "Hello, Cristian. So nice to see Álvaro's teammates from the National Team outside international dates. Come in, come in." "Thank you, Mrs. Martín. Nice to see you, too. Sorry to intrude in your home like this."

"It's perfectly fine. All of Álvaro's friends are welcome." I went inside and took a deep breath before facing her. I peeked toward the living room and there she was, rubbing his leg and cuddling with him, his arm around her. Everyone was laughing about something. My mind silenced every other laugh and just concentrated on hers. I've loved it ever since I met her and it physically hurt that someone else was making her laugh.

I came in the room and that was all it took. Everyone stopped laughing and turned to look at me. I kept my eyes on her as her smile completely disappeared and she looked into my eyes, shock in hers. "Hello." I said softly. She frowned and blinked various times as if convincing herself that I was really here. "I won't bother you guys too much. I just wanted to talk to María, if she'll let me."

She didn't take her eyes off mine until Pedro squeezed her hand and nodded at her. She nodded once and stood up to follow me. I led her to one of the empty rooms and she followed suit. I faced her and she seemed mad now. "Cristian, what the hell are you doing here?" "María, listen." I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, preparing to go out with it. I moved forward and took her hands in mine.

"I'm here because I found you a job in Barcelona. I want you to come back with me. Come home with me. Please." "Cristian, I don't want to talk about this. I'm with someone else now. I've moved on." "See, that's what I don't believe." "Well, believe it. And you should do the same.” She was turning away but I grabbed her arm and turned her to me again. "Look into my eyes." She did so and there was doubt all over them.

"You don't love me anymore?" She seemed to consider it and finally took a deep breath to answer with another question: "Who said that?" I smiled but she kept serious. "But I can't do this to him. He has been a perfect gentleman with me." "You don't love him." I just stated that because I was absolutely sure after seeing them together. "I do." "I'll bet my life you don't kiss him like this." I pulled her to me, tired of this wordplay. Our emotions would do the talking now.

I held her hips firmly and she put her palms on my chest, pushing me at first. But after a while she gave up resisting and kissed me back, wrapping her arms around my neck. I doubted she's kissed anyone like this. Ever. If nothing else happened, this kiss would make everything worth it anyway.

She finally pulled away and seemed on the verge of tears. "No, Cristian. Don't do this to me. I can't." She turned away from me and I let her go. "You'll never love him like you love me." I said as she gave her back to me. "Please go." I'd laid every card I had on the table and she was still rejecting me. There was nothing more I could do. I walked out of that room and out of that house with a pain in my chest. At least I had given her one last kiss.