Chapter 22

Cristian's P.O.V.

It seemed so long ago that I'd let her go. It had only been one week and I already found myself needing her. I don't know how I'll get through six months. I reminded myself that I had to be the strong one as I took off to the airport. On my way there, I get a call from Marc. “Hello” I answer through the car handsfree. “Are you on your way to La Masía?” “What? No. I’m going to the airport.” “Airport? Cristian, pre-season training starts today.”

I can’t see my face but I’m pretty sure I lost all color as I feel a chill go through my whole body. “WHAT?! I thought we were starting on Monday.” “No. Tata said he wants to start getting to know us before that. Didn’t you hear Jordi in the meeting?” Obviously, I’d been on a cloud when he’d said that. Probably thinking about María and if she was doing ok. Now I couldn’t go visit her until I had another training break during the season. Those are practically nonexistent so I was resigned to waiting until December.

“Hello? Cristian?” “Yeah, yeah. I just…I didn’t hear him say that. I’m turning around.” “Where were you going anyway?” “To visit María in Madrid. You know I practically won’t be able to do that during the season.” “I know. I knew you guys were searching but I didn’t know they called her.” “It happened just a week ago. Marca said they wanted her on the first flight to Madrid the next day.” “Oh." There was a pause as he took it in and understood me. "I can only say I’m sorry, man. You know I mean it.” There was silence on the line but I knew he did. He’s one of my best friends and when I suffer, he does too. “Thanks, bro.” “See you in training?” “Yeah. On my way.” I hung up and my eyes stung from the tears that wanted to flow down my cheeks. Now came the worst part: calling her.

María's P.O.V.

I was so excited to see Cristian again. The apartment Marca had provided was absolutely perfect and I really loved my job. I started learning what I was going to do and it felt like a gift from the gods. They even said they’d try to pull some strings with the Universidad Complutense to see if I could start law this semester instead of having to wait until February.

Since it was just training, I had the afternoon off. It was around 10:30 when I got a call from him and I bit my lip. “Hello.” I answered giddily. “María, love. How are you?” I could tell from his tone that something was wrong. The smile disappeared from my face and I paced the room. “Cristian, what is it?” “Sweetheart, I…I can’t make it today.” I could swear I felt the floor move and I had to hold on to the back of the sofa to keep steady.

“What? Why?” “Training starts today. We’d settled on a date but since Tito’s news, everything’s changed. The new manager wanted to start before the original date to start to get to know the team, understand our style of play…” he kept talking but it was all a blur. I just sat down and tried to catch my breath. “María? María? Are you there?” “Yes. Yeah.” I answered faintly.

“I’m really sorry. I wish there was something I could do.” “It’s ok, Cristian. I understand. You’ve left me the space to build my own life and I can’t expect you to do the impossible and put your career in danger. It’ll be fine. Some other time.” I don’t know how I said all that without crying. Oops. Spoke to soon. The tears started flowing and I didn’t want him to hear.

“No, it won’t. I promised you I would go and now…” My sniffling interrupted him and I quickly covered my mouth, closing my eyes. “You’re crying.” I separated the phone from my mouth and wiped away the tears. “No I’m not.” “Yes you are. Don’t lie to me. Goddammit, I can’t believe this.” He bangs on something and there’s an echo. I’m guessing he’s in his car, parked in La Masía.

“Cristian, you can’t do anything about it. I’ll be fine. I’m just sad because I was really looking forward to seeing you. But it’s ok.” I tried to be the strong one as I held back my tears. “Would you do something for me?” I added. “Anything.” “Go to that training and give it your all. Prove to Tata that you deserve a spot on the starting eleven. I know you can do it.” I said encouragingly.

“God. I feel like I don’t deserve you. You’re so perfect.” “No I’m not. I was crying just a few seconds ago.” “Yeah but now you say that and you make want to go out there and leave everyone gaping.” I smiled to myself and, after a silent pause, he said softly: “I love you.” Out of all the times he’s said it, even though this one had been through the phone, I loved this time the most. The fact that we were apart made our need for each other, and therefore our love, stronger.

“I love you too, Cristian. Now go. Say hi to Martín and Marc for me.” “I will. See you soon, I hope.” “I hope so, too. “Take care of yourself. I’ll call you afterwards. Bye.” “A kiss. Bye.” I hung up and finally felt free. Free to let all my emotions loose. I curled up into a ball on the couch and started crying. I thanked God silently, though, that I was able to be the strong one today because Cristian was really pissed at not being able to come. I was sad but I’d stayed strong for the both of us and that’s what mattered.