Chapter 23

Cristian's P.O.V.

It’s been almost two months apart. I feel a pang in my chest every time I remember her because I realize we’ve grown distant. We barely ever talk because she’s working and studying. They’d finally given her ‘by’ to the Universidad Complutense and she started law this very semester. My free time was never hers and we didn’t get any time to ourselves. We basically texted to let each other know we were ok. It had been a long time since I told her I loved her.

After thinking it over for a few days, I decided it was best to let her live her life without me. Every time I said it in my mind, it pained me. But I couldn’t ask her to sacrifice her life for me nor wait for me forever. So I had my phone in my hand and I was about to call her to tell her that we should start seeing other people. I was almost certain that I wouldn’t be able to do that but maybe she would. And that was my hope. That she could be happy. Even if it was without me.

“Hello.” She answered dryly. I couldn’t help but compare the ‘Hello’s’ I got from her when I called her the first few times in Israel. “Hi. Do you have a minute?” “Yeah. I was just studying. What is it?” I breathed deeply to brace myself and came out with it. “I think we should start seeing other people.” There was silence on the other line. “This is starting to be almost impossible and it’s ridiculous to keep pretending we’re together.” The words I was saying were coming out of my mouth and hurting me at the same time. How could I?

María's P.O.V.

I felt like I was being stabbed through the heart. I knew he was right. We were barely a couple anymore. But ending it? Just like that? “What do you think?” He asked and I was obligated to come up with a quick answer. I had to agree with him even though I still loved him. “I agree.” Was the only thing I could say, a harsh tone to my voice. “Ok. I guess I’ll see you around.” “See you.”

I hung up and felt like a part of me had been torn off and thrown away. I tried to compose myself as best I could and went back to the living room where Pedro was studying with me. I’d met Pedro Mosquera in one of my law classes in the University. After I’d been assigned Getafe for the rest of the season, we saw each other on a daily basis and we’d become good friends. He’s really smart and we complement each other in terms of academics. What he gets, I don’t and vice-versa.

He looked up at me from where he was sitting on the floor, all the books spread out around him, and frowned. “What is it? What happened?” That obvious, huh? “Nothing. I’m fine.” “You can’t lie to me while your face has that expression. Tell me.” Not only was he smart but he was three years older than me. He knew something was up. He pushed all the books out of the way and I sat next to him. “Cristian broke up with me.” I said and looked up at him, forcing a smile after I’d finished the sentence. I looked back down and bit my lip hard but couldn’t hold back the tears.

“Hey. It’ll be ok. Come here.” I gave it no second thought as I crawled over to him and let him hold me as I cried. I wasn’t outright sobbing but the tears were imminent. I still loved Cristian. “I sort of knew it was coming. We were growing apart. But at the same time, I didn’t expect it now.” I tried to explain to him while hiding my face on his chest, my words coming out muffled. “No one expects this but these things happen. Maybe it was for the best.” I wipe the last tears off my cheeks and sit up. “Maybe it was.” I kiss his cheek in way of thanks and pull the books open again to see if they can get this off my mind. “Let’s get back to Renaissance Europe, shall we?” “We shall.” He agrees, smiling.