Three.

Chapter Three:

"Are Those the Stars...or the Fireflies?"

~•~•~•~

You watched as your mother looked at you in fear, tears streaming down her face. She fought the grip of the two men who were holding her and crying out your name and your father's name. Your father was lying on the ground, lifeless, blood pooling around him.

"(F/N)!" your mother cried out.

"...remember...re--remember...okay?"

"...I--I will-"

"Shit!" you cried, jolting up from your bed.

You looked around frantically before you calmed down and resting your hand over your heart, trying to calm yourself down. You were covered in sweat, definitely from the nightmare you just had.

"Goddammit," you breathed out.

You changed to your uniform ignoring the fact it was incredibly early in the morning and that you were far from the proper time you would usually wake up. You quickly decided to leave your cloak and so you sneaked out of your room and out of the HQ.

You walked out and walked up to the horse stables where you met your horse. You gently petted his/her mane before you mounted him/her and made her begin galloping.

You had no real destination, you just wanted to clear your head and get some fresh air, something you couldn't do at the HQ. At some point, your horse slowed down to a trot and you looked around, realizing the place you were currently in.

It was pitch-black in the forest but there were glowing lights that illuminated the forest that flew around, your horse then began walking as you looked up at the beautiful fireflies that flittered around, lighting up the pitch-black of the night with a warm and comforting glow.

Your horse walked into an open meadow where there were even more fireflies flying around, this time their lights didn't glow as brilliantly because the stars were there but it was still an amazing sight to see. You got off of your horse and held onto his/her reins as you walked around.

One of the fireflies flew downwards and landed on your horse's forehead, your horse snorted before shaking his/her head, making the firefly fly away. The same lone firefly flew near you and you held out your hand, the firefly accepted it and landed on your open palm.

"Aren't you just beautiful?" you whispered.

"What are you doing here, (L/N)?"

You gasped and quickly spun around only to meet Levi who was holding his horse's reins. You gulped nervously and the grip on your own horse's reins tightened.

"You should be sleeping right now, so why are you out?" he asked.

You played with the reins as you awkwardly met his gaze, only to look away again, "I...I had a...a nightmare."

"You too, huh?" he whispered, loud enough for you to hear.

"Well, I--I couldn't go back to sleep, so I went out to clear my head before I went to sleep and then I came across this place and...you know the rest," you answered.

He walked towards you making you feel even more nervous, "I--I can, i'll go back to-"

Levi immediately cut you off, "That isn't necessary, (L/N). Do you want me to tie up your horse beside mine?"

"Why?" you couldn't help but ask.

He sighed, "You obviously aren't going back to HQ for a while so I might as well tie up the horses so we can talk properly."