Nine.

Chapter Nine:

"Ramming Into Trees For Fun."

~•~•~•~

The Cadets' first day of their training went pretty well. Despite being shitheads who do nothing but fuck up --Levi's exact words-- they were pretty skilled in hand-to-hand combat and other things of the sort. Right now, it was their last training session before they were allowed to take a break.

This was the only training session you really enjoyed, because this was the session where you could go flying around with the 3DMG without having to get yelled at by Levi.

Yesterday, you and Hanji decided to come up with a little surprise that was fun --somehow-- and was also a good way to evaluate the Cadets' skills when it comes to manuevering with their 3DMG.

"So," you cleared your throat, trying your best to feign serious-ness because Levi was right beisde you, "we're going to have a race involving our 3DMG. This is a little different from the usual training where you cut the nape of the mock titans while simutaneously using your 3DMG. Instead of killing the mock titans, you have to use your reflexes and shit to dogde them without ramming into them."

Levi stared at you with the same blank look he wore everyday, but for some reason you were able to tell that he was curious as to where you were going with this plan you came up with.

"The point of this whole thing is to improve your mobility on the 3DMG, because if a titan decides to surprise you, and you can't kill it with the blades, then you can always dogde it before it eats you...then, you can always circle back and cut out it's nape," you said casually.

Levi spoke up, and judging from the direction his voice came from he was now behind you, "So (L/N) right here is going to do a test run, just to make sure the things work properly, isn't that right, brat ?"

You smiled sheepishly, praying to whatever god was up there that you wouldn't fuck up and embarass yourself in front of Levi and the new Cadets.

"...yeah. Watch and learn, I guess?"

~•~•~•~

You were currently manuevering through the entire race course and the Cadets had decided to follow you and watch as you skillfully evaded every titan that had suddenly sprung up from the ground. Along the way, you heard Cadets complimenting how good you were with your 3DMG or how much it made sense that you were one of the elites of the Recon Corps.

When you were circling back, a mock titan had caught you by surprise. You didn't react quickly enough and so your right leg ended up ramming into it, making you cry out in pain. In hopes to prevent yourself from dying, you got a hold of a nearby tree and used it to slowly climb downward.

When you landed on the ground and looked up, you were met by Levi's expressionless face. "You should be more careful, you clumsy little shit," Levi growled.

You smiled and stood up, trying to ignore the pain that shot up your right leg, "I'll keep that in mind."

The Cadets had all landed on the ground --much more gracefully than you had-- and looked at you, you smiled at them, telling them you were fine. They nodded simultaneously before waiting for the go signal to start the race.

"Anyway," you begun, "the winner of this race doesn't have to clean for a month!"

"Wait a second, you damned brat. I never agreed to thi-"

"Ready?...GO!"

Finding out about the lovely reward seemed to give the Cadets a little spring in their step. All the Cadets leapt into the air and zipped away on their 3DMG while you smiled to yourself proudly. You were suddenly interrupted by a rather angry Corporal Levi.