Twenty-One.

Chapter Twenty-One:

"The Forest of Giant Trees ; Prelude to Demise pt. 1."

~ ~ ~

"Look around you, Eren. Look at all these big-ass trees," Levi's untroubled steel eyes flickered to the side for a moment before he looked straight ahead. "An ideal location to fight with our 3D Maneuver Gear. Now think - think with your sad excuse of a brain."

Eren, who was uneasy and was beginning to perspire, replied with a : "Yes, sir!"

Levi's horse suddenly sped up, placing a distance of at least three feet between his and your own horse. Levi had been quiet ever since the expedition had begun, but this was as expected. Though, with much more to lose, you knew you couldn't shoo away your nervousness.

Ultimately, you chose to shove your dread aside, deciding there were much more efficient ways to overwork your mind, and your grip on the reins tightened.

The forest, no longer having any human interruptions, began growing to abnormally gargantuan heights, allowing only thin strips of sunlight to zigzag across the tree trunks, looking like gashes. And an even lesser amount of sunlight was able to touch the path the horses were treading on.

You yourself were unsure of what Levi was planning, but from experience, you knew that your only choice was to put your faith in him, no matter what was to become of you.

The horses continued tirelessly, their hooves drumming against your ears, mixing with your frantic heartbeat. Even after surviving several expeditions ( with only a few resulting in you returning completely unscathed ), the ever-present feeling of terror had always been wrapped securely around you, and it never lost its edge.

You wondered if Levi was scared as well.

The sound of a flare gun going off boomed throughout the practically soundless forest, adding to the chorus of noise that swarmed your ears. You looked up briefly, immediately spotting the black trail of smoke that was still soaring upwards.

"A black signal!"

"Right behind us!"

You cursed, quickly facing to the front again. You managed to catch a glimpse of Levi's hand snaking around one of the hilts, ready to pull out one of the blades. "Everyone," he said, "draw your swords."

You did so, making sure to wrap your legs around your horse's midsection securely, steadying yourself on top of the moving animal.

"If that thing decides to show itself, we won't have any time," he added, falling silent once again, leaving everyone else to absorb the grimness of his words.

And then came those few moments of painful anticipation. The weapons were ready, trembling fingers ghosting over the trigger as you waited for any sign of a nonhuman presence.

One. 

There was nothing. So far. Your mind had no boundaries in conjuring up the most gruesome of creatures, and you hoped that whatever you were going to face would not be as unpleasant as what was running through your head.

Two.

A familiar green cloak came into view, as a soldier sudden burst through the foliage. The soldier fixed his stance, still in mid-air, focusing only on something that was yet to make itself known.

Three.

And there it was.

~ ~ ~

[ a/n ]:

okay, hot damn, i know that was shorter than usual but the past few weeks [ maybe even months oh my god ] were nothing short of complete and utter shit.

i barely had any time to do anything at my own leisure, and i can only write now because im on a break, which is ending in the next few weeks, i guess??

but the update schedule is back to normal :DD

And Merry Christmas, guys. Lots of love from me :DD

- Acnologia_Slayer