Seventeen.

Chapter Seventeen:

"A Game of Cat and Mouse."

~ • ~ • ~ • ~

A small, yet content grunt was what made you wake up that morning. Slowly, your eyes fluttered open, and you were greeted with a sleeping Levi, whose body slowly went up and down as he took each breath.

His usually neatly combed hair looked dishevelled, but compared to Eren's bedhead, Levi's raven locks were neat, by a long-shot. Somehow, the messiness of his hair actually added to Levi's serene look. You caught yourself smiling lovingly at him, at the strange Corporal who managed to capture your heart.

With that same smile on your face, you inched towards Levi, planting a gentle kiss on his cheek before you slowly lulled yourself to sleep once again.

~ • ~ • ~ • ~

Unlike earlier, what had woken you up was the sound of sheets ruffling. Slowly, tiredly, you opened your eyes, and this time, you were greeted with an awake Levi, who was sitting up, running his fingers through his dark hair, in an attempt to return it to its neat state.

You watched Levi, and you continued watching him as he sighed in frustration, his hand dropping to his side, lightly gripping the sheets instead.

"Stop looking at me like that," Levi complained, his voice unusually scratchy. Noticing this, he cleared his throat, before he continued to speak, "it's fucking creepy."

"Sorry.."

You quickly averted your eyes, and instead focused them on your own hand. You stared intently at the natural creases that formed on your palm, on your fingers, and the ones on your wrist. Looking even closer, you noticed the faint, dark blue outline of your veins, scattered all throghout the various parts of your hand.

Already content, you hid your hands under the sheets, shutting your eyes instead. An amused chuckle echoed throughout the room, and you didn't need to look to know that it was from Levi.

The bed suddenly dipped due to Levi's weight, and you felt two strong arms snaking around your waist, and you could feel yourself getting pulled towards him. He hummed happily, peppering your neck with kisses.

"Bastard," you mumbled, "you're trying to get me sick too, aren't you?"

"If it means that you're staying here, with me, for the rest of the day, then hell yes," Levi responded, making you snort in response.

"I'm still staying here, regardless of whether I'm sick or not," you said, "somebody's got to take care of you. Who knows what kind of shit you'll get into if you're left alone."

"Definitely not the filthy kind."

You grabbed a random pillow and smacked the side of his face with it, rolling your eyes as you did so. "Go back to fucking sleep, Corporal."

~ • ~ • ~ • ~

In the end, neither of you had fallen asleep, and the remainder of the day was spent talking to Levi—and it was a day well-spent.

Surprisingly, even if Levi wasn't the type to talk his ass off ( like Hanji ), so when the opportunity to talk to Levi presented itself to you, you had to grab it. And when you actually managed to start a conversation with Levi, you would soon learn that Levi was actually fun to talk to.

He was willing to talk about any concept that you would bring up, but he preferred to listen to the stories you told rather than telling his own tales; and that was okay.

Levi, you had also learned, actually a sense of humor—albeit it was twisted, it was a sense of humor nonetheless. When you would blurt out something stupid, the tips of his lips would twitch before a hint of a smile would show.

And you strived to make that tiny hint of a smile present itself as much as possible.

Revolved around your endeavor, you didn't notice yourself falling even more in love with Levi. It was evident in your eyes, and even clearer in his. If only you would look close enough.

On normal days, your [e/c] eyes would always contain a spark of excitement and happiness in them, occasionally it would flicker, threatening to die out, but it was always there. Whenever you were in Levi's company, that spark would ignite into a hot flame that would shroud your entire being in overwhelming happiness.

And you welcomed that feeling. With open arms.

And Levi's eyes, completely in contrast to yours, were usually dull and cold, they lacked that spark that your eyes seemed to be full of. When he was with you though, it was as if everything worked in opposite ways, his usually bland eyes would suddenly light up and a peculiar happiness would flood his entire body.

It wasn't like him, to be happy like this, but he couldn't restrain the feeling of joy whenever he was with you. He blamed it on love. On no normal circumstance would he act this way. Soon, he began to accept the feeling into his daily life. At some point, even enjoying it.

It was all a game of cat and mouse, but Levi had already caught you.

And yet,

You still found yourself falling.