My Writing and Inspirations

Since I've been terribly unmotivated to write lately, I've decided to do something that would maybe reverse that, or at least remind myself that I shouldn't give up yet. So I wrote down as many interesting facts about my writing and inspirations as I could and put it on WP. I think that reminding yourself about what really inspires you helps a lot more than just forcing yourself to write garbage to try and fight the block. The majority of this won't be nonsensical, but I just decided this was the best place to put it.

If you're stuck with your work, try thinking about your history with writing, about what really inspires you, what you admire about other people's work and what you'd really hope to create in the future. Write a few facts about all of these, I think it really helps to get yourself out of your block again, or at least improve your mood about your writing so you don't give up. I'm going to turn this into a tag, since there's a lot of other people I'd love to learn their stories from. I'll leave all the Wattpaddian's names in a comment below.

ANYWAY

1. I've technically been writing for as long as I can remember. I think when I was around three I wrote a series of short stories (they're probably very childish), and ever since then I kept writing on and off again in journals. When I was around nine I had an obsession with zoology so I wrote tons of notes on animals and I performed behavior experiments with my pet mice and snake and lizard (that still counts in my opinion), and when I was in middle school I kept a random series of notebooks with just a bunch of thoughts, lists, ideas and drawings in them. 

2. A children's novel was what really inspired me to start creative writing. I was about a freshman/sophomore in a new high school, and I found this one book titled My Name is Mina. And I was extremely curious and excited to see what it was about since it had the same freaking name as me (even though it's spelled differently, hush hush) and when I read the first chapter, the book's nine-year-old Mina was so much like me that I checked it out and I read it like 8 times in one week.

In the book, Mina was a complete outcast who got taken out of school, and she loved reading and writing. She called the little prompts she came up with 'Extraordinary Activities'. That was when I picked up a notebook and started writing again, beginning with those extraordinary activities. I made up stories that spanned out to about five notebooks, and I also created Extraordinary Activities of my own. Afterwards I started writing novels.

(The author of the book, by the way, is David Almond. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested; it's extremely inspiring for very strange children (hey, adults can be children too) and super imaginative. And Mina is like a nine year old fiction version of me. Even my mom said so when I made her read it) 

3. I think I've written content in over fifty notebooks, before I came to WP and decided my crap was good enough to be published online. I threw away most of what I wrote, just because it was when I was still learning, And even then I didn't think I'd ever be good enough to write books. But I kept some of it, and some of the stuff I wrote down really surprises me sometimes. They just kind of proved that no matter how much you grow and what situations you're put in, some parts of your mindset just don't change. I had the same philosophies back then that I would still want to live by.

4. When I started out writing, I listened to a lot of classical compositions, instrumental music, watched animals, looked at objects like bones and fallen trees and rivers, and I tried making up stories about them. I should probably start doing that again; I found it super helpful.

5. THIS FACT COMES WITH A LIFE SAVING TIP!! 

I lost my latest notebook outside in a field a couple months ago, and I still haven't gotten over it. I've had extremely bad writer's block ever since this happened. It's still super upsetting to me, just because it was the first time in an extreeeeeemmmely long time that I've gotten the creativity I used to have. Back in the beginner days when I could fill millions of journals full of thoughts and stories, that were almost bending and reshaping the universe. Except this time I was so much better at it. I could never have all that ingenious stuff again, and for some reason I just couldn't keep writing the same right after I lost it.