Chapter 1.50: We're On The Same Boat

Chapter 1.50: We’re on the same boat

        The bell rang and Ethan flew from Frince’s hug.

              “My theatre’s waiting so… we should go on our separate ways.” He sighed and trotted outside, leaving the door opened to invite Frince to go out as well.

              God, that was so unreal! My verbose mouth did not stop him from listening to me. It was like I am living in a different world. First. Time. Ever. Ethan was left speechless inside his head where his world lived on.

              …

              He opened his locker, finding himself alone in the hallway. The silence battered his ear. The sunlight peeked from the window. He looked around and just the petty reflection of the auburn tiles fiendishly grinning at him. He pulled some books from his bag and stuffed them in his locker.

Tok. Tok. A pair of mary janes, which he sure was, tapped the tiles that echoed the hallway. He quivered and shuddered as the locker creaked when he closed it. It was one of his nightmares that a woman wearing white would appear from nowhere and tease him, BOO.

He felt hair soothing his skin from behind. He cringed and stayed on the block, not moving at all.

I hope it is not one of those movies where a creepy innocent girl holding her teddy bear would creepily smile at me. I am going to die if that happens. He gulped as he felt a grin behind him.

“Konnichiua-desu. Watashiwa, Enid,” it said, disturbing the pestilent silence.

Ethan quickly turned around and saw nothing but reality. Her hair was dense and her purple turtleneck was a thick. She bowed down the ground, holding a book, not a teddy bear.

Enid looked up, greeting Ethan in a shy smile with a pair of circular glasses.

“H-Hello?” Ethan asked, unsure of what he’ll say.

 “I guess we are on the same boat. Aren’t we?” Enid grinned even more, now showing her teeth.

Ethan comfortably released his smile and sighed. “Yeah I guess so. It’s the sentiment of special people,” he said, slightly creeping out.

“Uh huh. The sentiment of special people.”

They both giggled, embracing their books, and continued walking. The bell rang once more and the students rushed in like bulls that searched for the red flag. Some tackled them yet Enid and Ethan tried their best to be great matadors of this deadly game.

“So…” Ethan thought of something they could have a conversation with. “You like Shakespeare?”

“Yes,” Enid thriftily answered.

Ethan nodded and grinned. “I like him too.” He waved a book of Hamlet from his bag.

Enid admiringly stared at him. Her eyes sparkled seeing someone would be a passionate bookworm as well.

“I guess we really are on the same boat, E-Ethan.”

“But that boat usually sinks. So…” He showed his white double breasted blazer. “I regularly bring with me a life vest or a rope,” referring on his velvet scarf. “Who is our next teacher?” he asked.

“Ms. Fauntine for Literature.”

Ethan showed a smile from his lips. What a wonderful row of opportunities; a science quiz earlier and a literature class now? What else could turn out right?