(12) Things I Regret, Things I Forget.

Hey guys.

<- Vote/Comment/ Fan Please! ->

Enjoy!

*Attention* Yes, this story is present tense now. I find it easier to write in present tense and I think my writing flows better. If you guys like it better this way, please tell me below. And I will find an editor to edit all of my previous chapters to be in uniform with this one. If not, I will edit this one. OK?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Twelve

It's so comfortable here... The sun warming my bare back, compensating for the slight draft in the room. It is so quiet too, only the sound of chirping birds to bring a nice, light sound to my ears. The taste of my sister's wedding cake is still dense on my tongue, and I curse myself for not brushing my teeth last night. How quickly had I fallen asleep as to not remember my hygiene? Aiden's scent is still strong in my nose, and I cherished it, relinquishing my breath after a moment.

I snuggle in deeper to my bed when something registers- it is moving up and down at a steady pace. My eyes flutter open and I push myself up on my elbow to behold the sight of Aiden's naked chest. I curse silently and force myself to look up, expecting to meet his eyes. I sigh in relief when I realize he is asleep, his mouth slightly open.

Fighting back the urge to 'Aw!' at him, I bite my lip, trying to remember what happened yesterday. I was crying. He put me up on my bed. I told him everything that happened with Arabella. Then, we kissed... and what?

Did we have sex?

I struggle to bring up memories, anything that will confirm my suspicions. Unluckily, nothing comes to mind. I blush deeply when I realize that we are both naked, and the urge to recoil overcomes me and I quickly jump off the bed, waking Aiden.

"What happened?" he asks, searching for any signs of danger. His eyes lock on mine and he understands immediately. "Listen, Rose, I-"

"No. It was my fault," I say, stopping him.

"It wasn't," he retorts with a hard look.

I raise my brows. "If I need not remind you, I was the one crying."

He looks down immediately, flustered. "Actually..."

"You were crying too?" I ask.

"No... Well, yes, actually, but-"

"Why?" I interrupt.

"What happened to you was horrible," he admits.

"It still doesn't give me the right to force you to have relations with me just to make me feel better," I say bitterly.

"You didn't force me," he began, his eyes raking over my body. "I wanted to."

I am suddenly overcome with insecurity and I scramble to the sheets on my bed, trying to cover myself. "Still, it is not an excuse."

"Rose, if you didn't want to, I'm... I'm sorry," he stammered out, blinking his eyes rapidly.

"It is not that I didn't. I just do not think it was right." I walk to my closet to retrieve my clothes for the day, and I realize they are not there, as my servant has not had the chance to enter my room and set my apparel for the day. "We are not in love."

"If you say so," he breathes out. "Do you want me to leave?" I nod and he rises, dressing quickly. He makes his way towards the door but stops by my closet to plant a quick kiss on my forehead.

"Aiden..."

"Yes?" He hugs me tightly and rests his head on my shoulders. I once again delight in his scent, saving it to my memory for later use.