FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 11 - I got another Happy Meal

Edward Dace

Edward Dace.

14. September.
Tuesday, 7:13 a.m.
Coffee Shop.

I KNEW one of these days, Joyeuse would reap all the devilry he had sown. I was thinking of brimstone, but being called a primary suspect would suffice.

Hindi naman sa masaya akong pinagsususpetyahan si Joyeuse, alam kong mahirap ma-frame up para sa isang bagay na hindi mo ginawa. Isa pa ay alam naming lahat na hindi si Joyeuse ang tunay na may sala. Nakagagalak lang talaga ng damdamin kapag nakikita naming nasosopla si Joyeuse.

"I-Impossible po 'yan, Ma'am Cassandra, magkasama po kami ni Joyeuse noong Sabado!" Futhark said, defending the drama queen's honour.

Joyeuse nodded. "Plus if I'd kill someone, it would be Nicholas James first, the author of Clockwork Sleuth, Christopher, Janis, the guy in my fourth form cafeteria, and then the gardener in Aventurine Street."

Cassandra blinked in disbelief. I was merely amazed the drama queen's brave enough to say all that in front of an actual cop.

"That's a lot of people to kill," she said.

"For day one, I know." Joyeuse clicked his tongue. "I guess I'll move Janis to day four."

Futhark was horrified at the thought and how casual murder was being thrown around. "That's not helping!" He glared at Joyeuse.

"I had him tested and he attended therapy before," Cassandra was saying, "and I'm sure he wouldn't really kill people. I invited him for coffee to know what really happened."

"So you do need my help." Joyeuse beamed smugly.

"I need information from you. Not help, information."

"But giving information counts as—"

"Joyeuse," Futhark said firmly, "ang gusto ni Ma'am Cassandra ay ikwento mo ang lahat ng nangyari noong Sabado. Ikwento mo lang."

"Even the ones I told her last night over the phone?"

"Yes," Cassandra answered.

Joyeuse suspiciously gave everyone a once-over before he crossed his arms and started narrating: "September 4, Futhark and I were on a stakeout to investigate Joriz Pineda, my primary suspect for the murder at Juniper Street. I've gathered enough evidence to prove it was him, except for his motive."

"I need to ask why you didn't give the police the evidence you had," Cassandra said, her voice peculiarly louder and clearer than the usual. Baka ganito talaga sila mag-discuss ni Joyeuse.

"Well, the police said back off and a motherly young man said I shouldn't meddle."

"Where did you stay last September 4?"

"First at a milk tea shop across the construction site at Juniper Street, and then we changed venues and waited at another milk tea shop in Orchid Street."