FIMBULWINTER || Chapter 13 - Trigger Warning

Edward Dace

Edward Dace.

14. September.
Tuesday, 11:59 p.m.
Yellowbell Street, San Lorenzo.

I DIDN'T KNOW whether I responded like a superhero or a super-idiot.

My body moved on its own. I did not think at all. I had a sudden rush of energy, like I didn't have time to be scared, to be rational, or to be someone who had his mother taken away from him.

I saw Nicholas James down the rails, and then I saw the blinding lights of an incoming train.

I couldn't allow that.

Time slowed down as I grabbed Nicholas's arm and collar and heaved him up and away from the track. We locked eyes; he sprawled on the safe ground and I was left frozen on the rails.

I knew I should jump. If I had time to pull Nicholas away from danger, I have time to run. But I didn't. I held my breath, transfixed by the white light. Or orange lights, dahil PNR lang ang tren na 'to.

Perkele.

"Dummkopf!" Laevateinn's voice rang, then a dark figure charged against me, grabbed me by the waist, and threw the both of us into the other side of the track. I was safe, but I still could not breathe and my ears were ringing.

The train chugged along, drowning us in engine noise.

I panted and wheezed, wide-eyed at the blue and orange blur of the train. I was shaking all over.

"It was the PNR," Sir Arthur said, sitting and panting beside me. Ngayon ko lang na-realize na s'ya at hindi si Laevateinn ang tumalon para iligtas ako. "You had time to jump, Edward Dace."

Kahit magkaiba sila ng ugali ay hindi mo makakailang magkapatid sila dahil halos magkaboses sila.

I scowled at him, too shocked to utter a word. I wanted to thank him, but I harboured hatred towards him these past few days. But I wanted to thank him and say thanks, dad, but...

"Edward, don't cry, you're safe." Sir Arthur tousled my hair the same way Sir Lance used to.

"I'm not crying, leave me alone." I slapped his hand away. I immediately regretted that, hindi ko sinasadya. Nabigla lang ako at...

"I'm sorry." Sir Arthur stood and brushed his pants.

"No, I..."

I suddenly remembered my phone, so I groped my pockets to check. Sir Lance's lucky charm fell out of my pocket when I pulled my phone out.

Sir Arthur picked it up and smiled. It was bittersweet.

"H-He gave it to me," I said defensively. He gave the charm back to me.

"I understand." Sir Arthur shook his head and crossed the tracks, to where Nicholas and the others were.

Futhark was holding Joyeuse back from attacking Nicholas, who was still stunned and was staring at me. Laevateinn stood, tensed and a bit wide-eyed too. He ran to me and helped me up my feet, then we both ran to Futhark.