Chapter 9: Poetry in the Blood

Bernice

It was now Monday and I was at work. I couldn't focus because I was still thinking about Richard or mainly the conversation we had that night he popped up at my place unannounced.

"What are you doing here, Robb?" I asked looking around.

"I can't come see my girl?" He smiled. He looked good for someone who had been in jail. Better than before. Before he wasn't doing his hair or shaving, he gained some weight, his skin was breaking out and he always looked drugged out. His skin was now clear, he was cleaner and leaner in body weight, and his freeform dreads had formed.

"I'm not your girl. How did you find where I live?"

"I have my ways."

"I thought you got life?"

"I did, but you know that new law they came up with had them re-looking at people's cases. I appealed and they realized there wasn't enough evidence to have ever convicted me. They didn't have a weapon or witnesses, just bodies. It was all word of mouth because somebody said I did it. Now I'm free." He smiled, I didn't.

"Why are you in New York?"

"Staying with my daddy til I get back on my feet." That was a surprise. "Why'd you disappear once I was arrested? I called and wrote, nothing."

"I was scared" I lied, "I thought they'd come get me too and repossess our stuff since some of it was from illegal money. I packed my shit and left Florida."

"Hm, I guess." There was a pause then he smiled saying, "You didn't even show me any love when you saw me. Can I get a hug?" I slightly rolled my eyes. He tried to grab my hand, but I flinched. "I think your boyfriend is coming..that's why you're acting like this?"

I turned to see David coming out of my building, thank god! "That's not my boyfriend."

Robb only served one year, how was that possible? I sighed putting my head in my hands. I have a feeling he's going to keep popping up. At least he doesn't know I set him up.

Dave

I was at the studio with DJ Drama. I was almost done with my mixtape. I just needed the final edit to the last song, an intro and outro, plus the artwork. It needed to all be done by Friday so it could be available for download on Datpiff. Usually Dram would be talking on the intro, but I wanted to do something different then having his ass yelling. Dram was my nigga, but I wanted a different vibe.

"So your really not gonna let me talk on the intro and outro?"

"Nah, yo ass is too loud" I said laughing.

"I'm not even loud! Not as loud as DJ Scream and not nearly as annoying as DJ Khaled or Birdman." I laughed shaking my head when Bernice walked in. She hugged me then sat down. She pulled a book out. I sat next to her until I could come up with an idea.

"Whatcha reading?" I asked looking over her shoulder.

"Poetry book" she showed me a cover that read A Brilliant Madness. It was by Robert M. Drake. I think I've seen his poems on instagram before. That's when I got an idea.

"Hey, B, can you find 2 poems? I want to use them in my intro and outro. Anything that relates to my mixtape."

"Okay" she said starting to flip through pages. I got up going over to Dram.

"Find me 2 slow, short beats. I know what I'm gonna do" he smacked his lips salty about not letting him do it. Bernice walked over to me showing me the 2 poems she picked. "Oooh! Supa hot fire! Perfect." She laughed.