Chapter 12: The Letter

Bernice

It was Sunday and my last day off, so I decided it was best I went ahead and did it today before I start procrastinating. Visiting my mom. According to Mrs. Janice (Dave's mom) my mom didn't live in our old apartment anymore in Harlem, but in Queens. She gave me her address. I got dressed and put the letter my dad sent me in my purse then left for the train station. Once I got to Queens I had a taxi take me to the address. I pulled up to a house. My whole life we lived in an apartment because my mom couldn't afford a house, I wonder what changed. I paid him then went up to the door. I took a deep breath ringing the doorbell and waited. Soon the door swung open with a little girl behind it. Did I have the wrong address? "Hi!" She said cheerfully. She looked about 6 years old.

Before I could respond I heard someone yell, "What did your dad and I tell you about answering the door?!" Soon a woman appeared, my mother. She look shocked to see me. "Bernice?"

"Yup, hi mom."

"Mom?" The little girl asked being nosey.

"Ashley, go to your room. Come in." She said sounding hesitant. I came in and sat down in the living room while she went to the kitchen. I looked around. There were tons of pictures of this little girl, my mom and a man, but none of me. I didn't expect there to be. I'm assuming she got married. She came back with a plate of cookies sitting across from me.

"How'd you get my address?"

"Janice. Who's the little girl?"

"My step-daughter, Ashley. Isn't she a cutie?" She said smiling. I wonder if she smiled like that when people brought me up, probably not.

"Sure is!" I said sarcastically, "So you got married and didn't tell me or invite me?"

"We haven't talked in 5 years, Bernice. I figured you were still in Florida."

"And who's fault is that?"

"No need to try and place blame. We were both wrong." Who is this woman speaking? So soft spoken and proper. Not an ounce of anger or bitterness in her voice. Her face even looked younger, softened, and more radiant. I want what she's having.

"More blame can be placed on some than others. Let's cut to the chase!" I took the letter out of my Celine bag and slid it across the table taking a cookie. She began reading it while I watched her studying her facial expressions. She looked up from the letter smiling. Weird.

"Is it true?"

"Isn't it amazing how he placed all the blame on me." She smoothed out her dress and clasped her hands over her lap. Seriously, who is this? "Bernice, did you ever think about how maybe he shouldn't have been selling drugs in the first place? Maybe if he hadn't have made such poor decisions he'd still be here in your life. He decided to be stupid and as a result he was taken from us. Poor actions lead to poor results. He didn't deserve to be in your life."

She was making sense, but still. "You should've let me make that decision."

"A child making a decision about someone they've never met? I don't think so. People always want to take the fast route to fast money, instead of working hard."

Was that shade? "What are you referring to?"

"You and your stripping, Bernice."

"Do you think that was easy for me to do? I had nobody and nothing out in Florida and you weren't helping me. I had to do what I had to. I didn't just get on a pole one day and take my clothes off. I created myself and a brand to take me to another level. Girls don't get known as fast as I did. In the 5 years I danced I've made more than you to date."