Chapter 22: Meant to End

Dave

Ever since my mom put my dad out he went to Baltimore to stay with my older sister, but now he's back. I hadn't seen him since thanksgiving and I was now picking him up from the airport. I was close to both of my parents, but I was closer to my mom only because my dad was a typical dad. The one who's going to be harder on you and discipline you. I could easily manipulate my mom to believe or agree to things unlike him. Sometimes I wondered if I made him proud. He finally came out. I hugged him. "Wassup, old man!"

"Who you calling old? You got the game fucked up!" I laughed putting his bags in my trunk then we left. "How was Maryland?"

"Fine, just couldn't be there anymore. Your sister got OCD or something. Had me cleaning like I was her damn child!" I laughed. "I'm staying with you."

"Are you asking or telling me?" I asked looking over at him.

"I can't stay with you?! You have a guest room."

"Yeah, but-"

"Now I know you are not trying to put your pops out on the street. After all I went through with you growing up. I housed and fed you for 18 years and-"

I cut him off. "Alright you can stay with me, damn! You and ma are both so dramatic."

"That's more like it."

"I don't understand why you can't just go back home."

"Because I left. Me and your mother aren't together right now."

"You left or she put you out? She said she put yo ass out, homeless!"

"Same damn thing!" I laughed.

"Y'all gonna try and work it out now? It's been a couple of months, so things have calmed down. It doesn't seem like you two are trying to fix things. You need to communicate."

"I know your single, non-married, lonely ass isn't trying to give me relationship advice! You've had one girlfriend who lasted more than one year and she don't count because she was a hoe!" He was talking about Keyshia.

"Ain't nobody lonely! You so rude. I don't think you can stay with me."

"That's exactly why you're single now, too sensitive. It would be much easier if you just dated Bernice. She's always been a pretty, young thing."

"Pops, please!"

"What? I know your ass is dumb, but you're not blind. I know you've looked a couple of times. Besides her being pretty she's nice."

"Yeah, she is." I said agreeing not feeling like arguing.

"See! What happened to that girl you were telling me about?"

"Who?"

"I can't remember. I think her name was Nemo or some shit like that. I don't know!"

I died laughing. "Nyemiah?"

"Yeah, that sounds right. What happened to her? You seemed to be feeling her."

"I still talk to her, but it hasn't been the same. I found some stuff out about her that I didn't like."

"Like what?" I told him about the situation with Mack. "Soo, you're telling me you're tripping because of something that happened in her last relationship with a whole 'nother person? Sounds like an excuse to me. You're always sabotaging shit before it even becomes something. That really doesn't bother you as much as you're pretending it does."

"It does, Pops."

"Quit lying to yourself. You're not fooling anybody but yourself. You started really feeling her, dug into her past for an excuse to slow things down to the point it goes nowhere. I know you. You got your heartbroken once by a hoochie and gave up on love. You can't keep running from it all your life, son."