Bored

I spent the next week either hanging out with Gally and his friends or Newt and Thomas. Newt was right I did like Thomas. Thomas became kind of like my best friend. He was a runner though so he's never really around. I wanted to be a bagger because they don't do that much work so I just hangout with Gally all the time.

I finally asked Thomas what I looked like and I think he answered truthfully. He said I was about 5'2 and had brown hair and green eyes, plus I had a few freckles and about sixteen years old. He told me I was the ugliest shank he ever saw and I said that's just because he doesn't have a mirror.

But the thing is I got kind of bored. I never really did anything except play fight with Gally and act awkward around Newt. I wanted to have some fun.

I was sitting behind the Slammer and play fighting with Gally and then I thought that maybe I should challenge Gally or something but instead, because it's my nature, I just hit him a little harder.

"What the shuck was that?" He said rubbing his shoulder. I smile cheekily and ran behind the homestead wall. Gally chased after me and I turned around and punched him in the gut. He looked at me and then picked up a piece of wood from the pile of spares the brick-nicks had left there.

"I'm not gonna hit you. This is for protection. I mean like from you not for you. You know what I mean."

"Oh and why, my friend, Gally will you not man up and hit me?"

"I can't hit a girl. It's like law."

"Not that I agree but I think that that's quite sweet of you Ga-" he took a swing at my head. I ducked and looked at him with a mixture of anger and shock.

"Shucking hell. Were you trying to knock me out?" I said still crouching on the ground.

"Oh slim it Max. It's just a bit of fun."

"Alright then, it's just a bit of fun." I swept my foot across the ground and he fell to the floor. I had learnt that I was quite strong and stuff. I heard murmurs of disapproval to my right. I turned to see Dave, Stuart and Sam watching around the corner of the homestead.

"Did you see him try and knock me out?" I asked them.

"No we saw him pretend to try and hit you. Then we saw you trip him and then him almost hit his head on the wall." Said Dave.

"Are being serious? It could've killed me. Stuart? Sam?"

"It was just a game, Max. Then you knocked me down."

"You kicked him in the leg and fell down. You must have hit him pretty hard for a little person. Everyone knows you can't hit a girl and you used that to your advantage." Sam, being himself. Tried to be tough again.

"You guys are unbelievable." I said. I stormed off to find someone. Anyone. No one? I think I just want to be alone.

I was heading to the deadheads or anywhere where I wasn't going to me maimed by teenage boys. I put my head down trying not to be noticed by the other Gladers who were working. I was so busy trying not to be noticed that I didn't notice someone about to walk into me.

"Ow." I said. I looked up and saw Newt.

"Jesus, Max do you hate me?"

"Wha-what do you mean?" I asked not that I thought he was being serious but I didn't want him to think that I hated him.

"I mean, that you punched me in the you know on your first day here. And now your running off to kill me in the woods." He said sarcastically.

"Yeah sorry. Do you hate me for that?"

"No, I mean. I didn't want you to punch me but I don't hate you but I don't like you either."

"That clears things up. What are you doing here anyway?"

"I'm going to get fertiliser." He said in his Brittish accent. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be working?"

"I'm a bagger. Unless you have any dead people to report to me I have nothing else to do. And also I am here because Gally is pissing me off. And all his shuck friends are annoying the klunk out of me."

"Glader terms still don't sound normal on you yet. I need fertiliser. I'm going." He started walking into the deadheads. I noticed he had a sort of hobbledy walk. Like a limp.

"Newt, do you have a limp?" He turned kind of shocked.

"Uh, yeah. I used to be a runner until I bloody injured myself running in the maze. I really gotta go Max I'm sorry."

"Can I come with you? I don't have anything to do and they," gestured over to the boys,"are pissing me off." He looked around nervously.

"We're not really supposed to be talking to you. Alby said so."

"You don't have to talk. I'll talk. I'm good at it too. I could talk all day. I don't really have much to say but I'm still talking see?"

"Fine but don't tell Alby or Thomas."

"Why can't I tell Thomas?" He's my bestfriend I kind of tell him most things. I even told him all the things Gally says about him even thought he didn't want to hear them.

"Just don't." Then he limped off to get the fertiliser.