Bonfire

I had done very thing I was told to do. I had put the lighter sticks in position for the keepers and set the bigger logs and just basically set up a good fire. There was enough airflow to keep it going for a while.

Thomas wondered over and tickled me. I squealed and punched him on the shoulder.

"What was that for?" I said in between breaths.

"Nice job Greenie. You set up a good fire. In any other situation Alby would kill you for that but I think he's softening."

"Thanks but you can't call me greenie anymore. There's a new one."

"Oh yeah. What's his name again Jim? No James that's right."

"Yeah. He's about fourteen. He seemed really terrified. What did they do with him after I left?"

"The usual. Threw him against the slammer wall and beat him to a pulp." He said it without any rise or drop in his voice and his face remained perfectly still.

"Are you serious?" He didn't move. "Thomas tell me the truth." The corners of his mouth slightly turned. "Thomas!" Then he started laughing.

"You should have seen your face. You are so gullible you know. You'll believe anything I say."

"Ha ha. Very funny. What did they actually do with him?"

"Gave him a bed. Calmed him down. Gave him a tour. It's not that hard to figure out." He started wandering off.

"Thomas! Thomas!" I followed. "Where are you going?

"You know you're like a puppy. Following me everywhere."

"Yeah well what if I am? Where are you going that you can't tell me?"

"I'm just going to get the fire started. Come on gree- Max."

----—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So what do we do now? Do we play a game or...?"

"We usually wrestle but recently that has been banned." Minho looked down at me with a disapproving look.

"Look, don't blame me for this. You were the one that said Newt has no balls."

"Hey!" Newt said from behind us. We were sitting on this log thing.

"His words not mine." I said defensively.

"Yeah but you are saying them too now. What if everyone just starts saying I have no balls. Huh? I'll never hear the end of it." I laughed.

"Balls." I mimicked his adorable accent earning the glare I wanted.