Dream

I woke up. I looked over and saw that Thomas was gone and everyone else was asleep. I thought about last night and looked over at him. He wasn't there though.

"He slept with Alby." I turned around to see Gally awake.

"What?"

"He slept with Alby. I mean like next to him."

"Why?" I knew though. I just wanted to pretend that I was not there.

"He got a little drunk. Last night and Alby "took him home". What do you remember?"

"Um I went to bed after stuff happened." I looked down. Avoiding eye contact.

"What happened?"

"You know what I mean Gally."

"I don't." He looked at me. "You went to bed early after we gave you a drink. You weren't really there for most of the night."

"But the game and after..?" I said confused. Was I really making up everything that had happened last night?

"What?"

"Never mind."

"This doesn't mean we're friends again Max." The sentence surprised me. I didn't think that Gally cared about actually being my friend. I thought he just wanted the girl as the ally. I didn't realise.

"Yeah I know. I get that. But you got me back now. You got me drunk. So drunk I don't even remember it."

"Yeah well that was your idea." Then he left. And I was sitting alone on my bed wondering if the entire night really was just alcohol.

----—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas had just got back. The entire day nobody even mentioned anything that happened last night. Nothing I remember anyway. Just how drunk I got.

"Hey gree-Max!" Thomas called out to me.

"Hey Thomas!" I said. He looked puffed. I hate to admit it but Thomas was...

My thoughts were cut off. "Max!" I turned around. Alby was coming over and looked less evil than usual.

"Hey Alby..."

"I heard about last night. Congrats..." Thomas cut him off putting a hand on his shoulder.

"on having your first drink in the Glade." He gave Alby a look. Then looked at me then back at Alby.

"Whatever." I said

"You need to thank Newt." Alby said. I looked at him a little worried.

"For what?"

"For putting you in bed." Thomas said. "You were gonna punch Gally but he basically tucked you in."

"Oh my god. What else did I do?"

"You licked one of the sleeping Gladers." At least I remember something.

"Yeah I remember that."

"You need to thank him Max. He saved you from a lot of embarrassment."

"How much?"

"Just thank him. Give him a big hug or something." I nodded and got really excited. It wouldn't be as awkward as I thought it would be. I mean none of it really happened.

I saw Newt from across the Glade. I ran up to him and jumped on his back. He turned around and around but you know I was on his back.

"Max? What are you doing?" He said finally giving up.

"I'm thanking you. For putting me to bed last night."

"What?"

"Oh yeah you got pretty drunk too from what I told but that was after I got drunk and you put me in bed."

"Oh yeah. No problem. You were running around like a little puppy and I couldn't catch. Me and Tommy cornered you and I grabbed you and threw you over my shoulder."

"Oh maybe I'll take my thanks back."

"Nah it's mine now. Dinner is being served now go and eat something. I have a hangover so dont bloody give me a migraine bigger than I already have." I skipped away and had a dinner of potatoes and beans. The usual. I had seen Winston pull apart a pig and I wasn't going to have one of those.

"Goodnight Max." Newt said from behind me.

"Goodnight Newt." I really want to get Newt out of here. I mean what about his parents and family? What if he had a girlfriend or something? And school? What if we knew each other before the Glade? What if? What if? What if? What if we don't get out of here? The sun's always shining and the weather is only unpleasant every now and then. What if we were kept here to be safe from outside? And the maze stops up from finding a way out.

Then I had a dream. Not much just me and Thomas and Newt. In a laboratory. Newt stepped into a box and was sent away. Up. Thomas and I held hands and I asked him "Do you think he will remember me?" And Thomas said
"How could he forget."