Thank You

"W-what?" I said. Stumbling after him. "Where are you going?" I whisper yelled. He didn't respond. "Ugh."

I followed him into the deadheads. What hell is he doing? Should I follow him at one in the morning into the woods? He could kill me for all I know.

He stopped and I ran into him.

"Where are you going?" I said. Now that we were away from the other Gladers I could speak normally.

"We haven't shown you this yet because you're a girl. I don't understand why that's a good enough reason to not show you but anyway."

"What are you talking about?"

"We have a graveyard."

"What are you going to use a graveyard for? You're just a bunch of teenagers living in a prison thing. It'll be years before any of you die."

"Yeah but you know why you don't wanna be a runner? It's because people die. The runners don't want to be runners. They were chosen."

"Who chose them?" I asked. Totally surprised that any of this actually happened. I'm not sure I can trust it all yet.

"Minho mostly. But let me just show you." He led a little further into the woods until there was a clearing. A few logs lay on the ground. Names were carved into them. I knelt down to one. George.

"Who was George?"

"He was a runner. He was caught while running from a griever. He got stung. He made it back and we gave him the serum. He went crazy with it though. Insane. Told us he's not gonna help anymore. He didn't want to be a runner. He never did but you know. He got into the maps. And tried to ruin them. Alby threw a knife at him. He died. Straight away. And now he's in the ground."

"Oh my god. Are you serious? What's a griever?"

"It's why you can't be a runner. They sting you and then you go through the changing. It's painful and you remember things. It's hard to explain."

"But can you, please?" He sighed and sat down at a tree.

Then he told me everything. Grievers are these monsters out in the maze. And the runners and the changing and the things he learn while being a runner. How he was actually running from a griever. That's how he got his limp.

We just sat for a bit before I broke the silence.

"Newt?"

"Yeah." He said not really looking away from the graves.

"I wanted to thank you." He looked down at me. Where I was sitting at another tree.

"For what?"

"For taking care of me. I mean you didn't have to. The rest of the Gladers were a bit suspicious with the whole girl thing. And you especially had the right to. Since day one."

"Yeah but you're really just a greenie. Like one of us. You won't be the greenie for much longer. A new one is coming in three days."

"I thought they came monthly."

"They do but you came at a weird time. You came in between Greenie's."

"Oh."

Then we just for a while longer. I fell asleep. I had a dream about the maze. And the grievers. And I imagined what the must look like. I imagined like a spider. Like Newt said. But a big spider with huge fangs.