Newt

I turned my super spy on and hid among the trees so Alby who was looking directly at me couldn't see me. I made as much noise as possible while silently ninja running through the woods.

"So. I think Gally hates me now. And I know Alby does. But you don't right?" I waited for a response. "Oh yeah you can't talk. So Dave is gonna try and prank me or some klunk." He's right the words don't sound natural to me yet. "I'm just gonna have to live with the fact the most of the Gladers don't like me because they're allies with Gally." I spent the next three trips to the deadheads for fertiliser talking about how much people must dislike me. But I mean I don't really think that. I was just talking about nothing.

"Yeah but I don't hate you." Newt said.

"Sure. I punched you in the balls. Hard. I think that you're still sore."

"Maybe. But I still don't hate you."

"Hey Newt. Do you think I'd make a good runner?" He stopped on the bajillionth trip for fertiliser.

"You wanna be a runner?"

"No I mean but would I be a good one? Thomas can barely beat me in the ring and he's a runner."

"Yeah but you can't be a runner."

"Why?"

"Because of Alby."

"I'm pretty sure Alby would love to send me off into the maze. But I won't die. I mean Minho is the best and Thomas thinks I'd do ok."

"Yeah but what if you got hurt. You're the only Glader that has ever come up in the box and not freaked out. That has to mean something. Like a clue or something."

"Yeah but wouldn't that mean I'm not as terrified of everything as everyone else."

"No you can't be a bloody runner. They're coming back soon why don't you meet them at the doors." Yeah the doors. I was completely dumbfounded that they moved that easily. I thought they were walls. Solid and they stayed in the same place all the time but they close and the runners have to be back before they do.

"Fine. Thomas!" I called out seeing him run through the opening.

"Max! What's up?"

"Nothing much. Gally tried to kill me and now they're all planning revenge but yeah. Spent the day with Newt after that." He stopped in his tracks.

"Wait, you spent the day with Newt? As in Newt Newt?"

"I wasn't supposed to say that, sorry. For whatever reason. Why do you ask?"

"I thought you said he was awkward."

"I did but I wasn't gonna hangout with Alby and my friends were being slintheads and I sort of ran into him while running into the deadheads. Plus we didn't talk. Well I talked. And he listened."

I had dinner and went to bed. Newt had been told from the start he had to be near me to stop me from "trying anything", which to be honest he wasn't very good at. I had pulled jokes on Thomas and Gally countless times and tried to on Alby but I always got caught. He's never gonna like me so what's the point?

I couldn't sleep. I kept thinking about how I'd gotten there and apparently I sleep talk and keep all the Gladers up. I'm pretty sure none of the glader're up. It was at least one o'clock. I got up not really knowing where to go.

"Where are you going?" A tired English accent asked from behind me. I didn't really know how to reply to Newt.

"Going to get some fertiliser." I told him. What the shuck was that? Why would I go and get fertiliser at one in the morning?

"We don't need fertiliser. What are you really doing?"

I sighed. I didn't know what I was doing really at all. "I don't know. I can't sleep and even if I could I'd keep everybody up."

"Well, why can't you sleep?" He asked rubbing his eyes.

"I don't know. I can't control it."

"You know though. I can't really sleep either so."

"Fine. First tell me why you can't sleep." He sighed. The entire conversation I had watched him slowly slip down the hammock. Now he fell onto the floor.

"Ow! Why didn't you tell me?"

"Shhh! Keep your voice down. You'll wake Alby up and he's not going to blame you." I whisper yelled.

"Bloody hell. Alright I can't sleep because here on the other side of me there is a huge mouth breather." He looked over his shoulder. "I think it's Simon but you don't know him so I don't know why I'm telling you that."

"Ok fine I can't sleep because I don't want to sleep. I don't want to sleep here I mean. I mean Newt you've been here for two years and you haven't found a way out. Have you found any clues or anything. I mean I don't have to be a runner but I want to help more. Like can I be third in command or something? I want to do something."

He got up and started walking.

"Where are you going?"

He smiled. "To get some fertiliser."