Chapter 1

Taking the happiness in your life for granted is like assuming a dream of yours to be true. One day, you wake up and find out that it was all unreal. And when the beautiful dream shatters into pieces, you find yourself drowning in emptiness, even the grief that comes with that emptiness also becomes numb at some point. And your beautiful past becomes just a bunch of some distant, blur memories.

"Alex trust me." Horrified, Kate looked at Alex's eyes. She searched for a pinch of trust for her in them but there was none.

"You are asking me to trust you after all this!" Alex pointed at the photos on the floor which succeeded in poisoning his heart, erasing with ease all the promises he had ever made to her and ripping out the love they thought was stronger than any other force in this world.

Kate felt like she would die from the grief she felt inside. It was unbelievable, the arrival of this day when he would accuse her of such a thing. Tears of hurt and disbelief at what was taking place trailed down her face, not even in her worst nightmares she had thought that he would question her loyalty to him, that he would shame her like this.

But she loved him, with all her heart and she needed to make him see the truth, for it was clear that it was someone's evil ploy with the purpose to ruin their marriage. "Alex—" she began but the raw hatred she witnessed in his blue eyes, the eyes she had fallen in love with, made her intake a sharp, painful breath.

He let out a low grunt. "Don't you dare take my name with that filthy mouth of yours." His eyes burned with rage. Breathing heavily, he demanded, "I hate you, Kate, you disgust me. Tell me, for how long this has been going on? Neil was in my house even last week, right? Did you fu*k in our bed as well? TELL ME. Damn it!"

"How can you even think all these! How can you say...," she trailed off as bile rose up her throat. Her voice trembled, and her hands shook. "I never cheated on you, Alex. Trust me!" She pleaded.

But Alex was not ready to listen to anything.

"So, it's all a lie, right?" His tone was mocking.

"Of course, it is. Can't you see that someone is framing me—that someone is trying to break us up!"

But who knew there was more to this trap? Her brows furrowed, seeing Alex shoving the screen of his right in front of her face. His hands were trembling a little. "And this?" he demanded. "Is this a lie, too, then? Say you didn't meet this basta**?"

Kate gaped. Someone had gone further ahead and sent photos of her meeting Isaac Groff—Alex's cousin who was not on good terms with the family. Isaac was also Alex's number-one business rival. The guy had tried to play nasty, trying to convince Kate—by tempting her in various ways to help him destroy Alex.

"Did you meet him or not?" Alex demanded.

She wiped her face, a dull throb beginning in her head. She had no reason to lie as she had refused all the temptations of Isaac, and so she said, "He approached me—"

"To have you steal the secret shareholder's file of my company, right?" he cut in. He noticed the surprise on her face and chuckled darkly, sadly.

"I never betrayed you," she said with conviction this time.

Yet that conviction was of no use, "Yet, that file's been missing for a week now," he revealed. "And someone's been advancing Quartz's shareholders now with incredible deals to buy them out. Isn't that interesting?" His voice broke at the end as he looked away from her, as if the very sight of her hurt him, "I thought you would be different. I really thought that. With all the people around me betraying one another and me, I thought you would prove to be my only light. But I was wrong."