Chapter 18

"Kate," Ellie shrieked. "What the hell was that back there?" 

Kate had her eyes squeezed closed, she took in a huge shaky breath. "Nothing."

"Nothing?" Ellie walked closer. " It didn't seem like nothing, Kate," and then she shrieked again. "Kate! What—oh my—are you alright?"

It was getting difficult for Kate to breathe, her head was spinning, and she felt exhausted like that time when she was hospitalized. She couldn't speak anything as suddenly a pain she was getting quite familiar with erupted inside her skull, magnifying with the passing seconds.

Right then, Kate recalled she forgot to take her medicines this morning.

Ellie quickly rushed towards her in panic and held Kate's shoulders. "I should call the doctor—"

"No— just—" Kate was groaning now with the amount of pain that made her eyes even throb. Ellie helped her to the chair. 

It was a lot of effort, but somehow Kate managed to point at her bag at the other end of the desk, Ellie got it immediately.

With great difficulty, Kate brought the pills out of the bag Ellie had been holding open before her. Kate gave a grateful look as Ellie helped her sip from a glass of water to swallow the pills.

The pain dulled down after a while. All the while, Ellie had been rubbing Kate's back with a concerned look.

It was an artificial relief, though, that the pills brought a drug-induced numbness that Kate was still trying to get used to.

However, the good thing about her little episode at that moment made what Ellie witnessed earlier a subsequent matter. No matter how much Ellie was interested in Alex's supposed highly misunderstood interest in Kate, she was more concerned about her health.  

So, when Ellie finally began the interrogation, it didn't sound like an interrogation session. Thankfully.

"Was the maniac groping you?" 

But still, it was as much awkward.

Kate cleared her throat. "Nope."

Ellie looked thoughtful. "Were you then mutually groping one another?"

"Hell, no, Ellie!" Kate exhaled a shuddering breath. "We were having an argument over him always breathing down Victor's neck," It wasn't a lie, at least. "And then... like the maniac that man he is, he stalked closer to threaten me."

"Bless the inventor of threats if what I witnessed was a bloody threat!" Ellie threw her hands up in exasperation. "For Cuckoo's sake, Kate, it's crystal clear that he was trying to bewitch you and cheat on his fiance with you."

Putting a hand on Kate's shoulder, Ellie indignantly spoke, "That maniac is really a filthy thing, it seems. While his interest in you is quite interesting, he's bloody engaged with that model, and whatever he's trying to do now is so f*cking wrong."

It was a good thing that Ellie took it upon herself to describe the situation here. Kate couldn't be more relieved.  

"I agree," Kate muttered.

Alex was head to toe, drowned in everything that was wrong. What if he saw the picture right someday? 

Would she live to see that day?

Anyway, it was not that she cared anymore. Too much had transpired in the past months, too much had changed, and too much had been lost. 

Nothing on earth or heaven can bring back the bygone.