Riley, mom and Zay

Lucas's POV

I wake up by a loud alarm clock.

I groan and then I shut up. I shut up because I remember that I'm not in my room. I'm not alone. I take a sitting position and take a look at Riley. Her hair's messy but she's beautiful.

Wait what?

She opens her eyes and turns off the alarm. She looks around the room and then she looks at me. Her eyes widen and her mouths drops.

I feel something on my hand. I look at it and I am surprised to see her tiny hand on mine. She seems to notice it too so she blushes and looks away.

"Sorry, I must have done that in my sleep.", she murmures.

I laugh. It's really adorable how she apologizes for every little thing.

"You don't need to apologize, Riley. I didn't mind.", I say, rubbing my neck.

She smiles at me.

"Look,", she says, "I always have breakfast with my family, so it will look a bit weird if I don't today. But I can grab some and say that I have to meet Maya early today, so we will share the food and then go to school together."

Her offer is great and all, but I don't want to make Maya feel jealous.

"No. Go eat with your family. I'll see you in school.", I tell her.

The funny thing, she seems a little dissapointed. I hate to dissapoint her but I have a girlfriend.

"Okay.", she says, nodding.

I grab my shoes and sit on the edge of the bed. I quickly wear them and get up. She's up too, at the point and has already opened the window for me. I look at her.

"Thank you Riley. I owe you this one.", I say.

"You don't oew me anything.", she says smiling.

"Riley!", I hear a a voice, "You coming?"

I recognize Auggie. It's been a long time since I have last heard his voice. When Riley left Mr. Matthews kept coming to school but I haven't seen the rest of her family in a while.

Still, this house was the first place that came into my mind when my mom kicked me out. It all felt so familiar. Except Riley.

"Riley?", I ask.

"Lucas?", her quiet voice works as a time machine and now I'm back in the library.

"Wear a dress today", I say and climb out of her window.

......

I walk straight to my house. I unlock the door and walk in. The place smells alchohol like always. As I walk towards my room I notice my mom lying on the couch with a man at her side. I don't know him. They're both asleep so that's good.

I get in my room and find my biggest bag. I take all my clothes and I stand by my nightstand. There's a photo in a gold frame. Me and my mom, smiling, being happy. That's 6 years ago. I was twelve and my mon did a good job of hiding her mean side. When I became 13, though, she decided that I was mature enough to accept her ugly habbits.

I take some of my old stuff and leave the room almost empty. I leave the photograph there. I want to take it with me but I leave it there, for my mom to see. It will hurt her, I know. She had the same photograph in a silver frame on her own nightstand. My mom didn't kick me out because she doesn't love me. She was drunk. She cares about me, but she's always drunk. So, when ,maybe tomorrow, she is sober again she will see that photo and I know that it will hurt her and she'll turn to alcohol again.

But my mom kicked me out yesterday. And now I'm done. Seeing the photo will hurt her, but kicking me out hurts me. It hurts like a motherfucker.

I leave the house quietly and head to school.

.....

I avoid the other students and find my locker. I open it and put my bag in. It's the biggest I have but it fits.

"Hey, buddy."

"Hey, Zay!", I say turning around.

Zay's standing there with a plaid-shirt and jeans.

"She kicked you out?", he asked.

Zay knows my mom's and my history and I don't mind his question.

"Yeah...", I reply.

He nodds and smiles like saying 'I get it, man'.

"You'll come to live with me, don't worry", he says and wrapps his arm around me.

I laugh.

"Thanks, buddy."

"Welcome.". Farkle says from behind us.

"Hey, Farkle!", Zay says.

"Hi. Why is Lucas so thankful?", he asks.

I quickly explain. He murmurs an "I'm sorry" but then I change the subject.

"Will you bring Smackle to the party?", I ask.

"Yeah. I'm trying to get her used to these kind of stuff, you know.", he answers.

I nod. Smackle is a funny girl even though she thinks I'm third-wheeling her 'relationship' with Farkle. I turn to Zay.

"What about you, buddy?", I ask.

"I'm thinking of inviting Riley.", he says.

"What?!", I ask.

Riley?! What the hell?! He can't invite Riley!

"Why not?", he asks, shrugging. "She's hot."

I press my lips into a line to calm down.

"Yeah, but she's... Riley."

That's the best I can find.

"Why so intersted?", Farkle asks frowning.

"I'm not.", I say and shrug, "I'm just a bit surprised that's all."

I don't know if I'm saying the truth or not and I didn't have the time to think about it because Riley and Maya came over.

My eyes locked with Maya's for a second and I smiled at her. She smiled back. Then I noticed what Riley was wearing.

A short green dress and boots. Wear a dress today, I had said. And she did.

I smile at the ground. And she does too.

"Hey, sugar!", Zay calls Riley and my smile disappears.

"What's up?", she asks. Clueless.

"Wanna go to Gardner's party with me?!", I ask quickly, turning to look at her, before Zay manages to spell a word.

A/N: Hey, guys. I just wanted to apologize for any grammar mistakes. I hope you like my story.