I find him

Riley's POV

I drive.

Charlie is probably on is plain right now. We did some running but we made it.

And now Farkle and I are in his dad's car driving as fast as we can. Lucas and Smackle are probably not so happy with us.

I am supposed to meet Lucas in ten minutes. There's no way I can make it.

At the thought of him I feel guilty. I imagine him standing outside the schoold waiting for me. I imagine his suit and his eyes and his cheekbones...

Oh! I forgot to mention. It's raining.

As we were reaching the airport, just about five minutes away, we felt drizzles on our skins.

By the time Farkle and I got out those drizzles had turned to a storm.

So now I am wearing jeans and sneakera and a t-shirt and they're all wet. My hair's a mess and my jeans have a little mud on them because, well, I fell.

I am driving in the pouring rain and my mind keeps running back to Lucas.

"Turn left there", Farkle tells me.

I nod. I do as he says.

"Wait.",I say. "Why did we turn,when we were coming--"

"We'll get there faster. That way we're going direct to school"

"Farkle!"

"What?"

"We can't go to prom like that!"

Farkle has the nerve to laugh.

"Come on Riley!", he says.

"I'm serious!", I frown at him.

He laughs again as he sees that I'm not stopping. I sigh.

"You know what?", I say. "Fine. Lucas will be dancing with another girl anyway. You know, holding her and hating me."

I keep looking at the road but I feel like he rolls his eyes.

"Lucas could never hate you", he states.

I seriously doubt that but I don' say anything because as I turn right, I see the school.

I stop the car close to it and we get out. I look at my reflection in the window. I'm dirty and wet. And that sounded wrong.

I shake my head and clear my mind. I take a deep breath.

I can do this.

I walk with Farkle behind me and get in the building. I find the Gym and open the door.

Here's my first reaction:

Wow. Just wow.

The gym certainly doesn't look like a Gym. All those neon lights have completely changed the room. Bodies are dancing everywhere, 18 year-old boys and girls wearing suits and dresses. But no one wears dirty ripped jeans like I do.

I scan the room and my eyes normally look for Lucas.

They find Maya and Josh instead. They're both dancing and staring at each others eyes. They're laughing. They're not cute together. No, they're something more than that. They're the badass couple with the leather jackets.

Under different circumstances I would have stayed there, looking at them for ages but now my eyes left them quickly, longing to find someone else.

As the slightest piece of hope that he went home started to built inside me, Missy came to ruin it.

"He's over there sweetheart.", she murmurs.

I keep my eyes to her. Her hair is as straight as James Bond and her dress is red.

"Thank you darling, but I can make it.",I say narrowing my eyes.

She just laughs or pretends to and leaves.

I look where she told me to. Because I am an idiot and because I knew she told the truth.

Lucas is there dancing with a blonde girl in a black dress. I see his hands, as they spin. They are on her waist and I shiver because I miss his touch on my skin.

I stand there for ages. I think, once again, my clothes. And me generally.

I don't belong here at all. All the girls with their fancy dresses and me, with my jeans. My sneakers and my wet hair and the mud on my clothes.

And then Lucas's eyes meet mine and my mind stops working as well as my legs.

I manage to remain standing.

Lucas's eyes are wide and I see his grip at the girl's waist loosen a bit.

And then they do exactly the opposite. Lucas holds her closer and she seems to enjoy it.

I don't even know the girl and she is hugging my boyfriend.

Lucas is frowning at me and his eyes only leave mine to look at my clothes and the water and the mud on them.

The song that's playing is getting slower and they slow dance with it.

It's weird. I should be dancing with him. Instead, I'm watching him dance with another girl while he looks at me and not her.

After what seems like a million years, the song ends and Lucas murmurs something. The girl nods and leaves.

He walks to me.

All this time I het lost in his eyes from a distance. As he comes closer, though, it gets harder. But I don't look away.

His green eyes have me captured. Again.

He stops a few feet away.

"Are you okay?", he asks.

His face is as hard as stone but he still asks if I'm okay.

"Yes.", I say. "Are you mad?"

"Not yet."

I pull my eyebrows together.

"Not yet?"

"Tell me it was important", he pleads. "Tell me you didn't want to be late."

"I didn't want to be late."

He smiles sadly.

"Was it important?"

I press my lips into a line.

"Not for you."

He frowns.

"Was it important for you?", he asks.

I take a deep breath.

"It was important for Charlie"

He turns his eyes to the ceiling. I can see he's trying to control his anger.

"And you left me here waiting for you, because it was important for Charlie?", he asks shaking his head.

It sounds terrible. I sound terrible.

"I'm sorry.", I say.

He turns around and walks away.

"Lucas!", I call after him.

To my surprise he turns to face me.

The problem is I don't know what to say. But I know that I have to say something.

"I love you.", I tell him.

It's true. I do. I need him and love him and want him. When he's with me, I feel like someone finally understands me. And for the love of god, call me selfish, but I don't want to lose that feeling.

What I said seems to confuse him. He frowns at me.

"I love you too", be murmurs and I barely hear it ovet the music.