Betrayal

Riley's POV

I talk with Maya, standing by my locker, when Missy finds me.

"Hey Hart.", she says. "I learned Lucas dumped you."

Oh god, what a bitch. I'd talk but I know Maya can take care of herself.

"So you have a problem with your ears, aside the one with your brain. Good to know.", she says.

Missy narrows her eyes.

"You think you're funny Hart? Because you're not.", she says.

"I wasn't trying to be funny.", Maya replies.

Maya is completely honest and Missy can't handle honest. She turns to me.

"If you think I'm going to let you have Lucas, you are fooled.", she tells me.

"If you think I'm going to let you keep talking, you are the one that's fooled here.", I say and stand straighter.

"I'm not afraid of you.", Missy snaps.

"Maybe you should be.", I hiss.

We stand close to each other and I'm ready for her come back when she slaps me.

The pain is not something I can't hande but I feel my blood boiling.

"Very smart. What happened? You didn't know any other words, so you decided to turn into the animal I know you are? ", I say.

In my mind, I've already thought everything. If she slaps me again, I'll move and I'll be stronger. She wears a dress and high hills, I wear jeans and sneakers.

Missy hits me again and this time I react.

I punch her, the way Josh taught me to. Her nose bleeds. She realises it and takes a breath. I wait for her to hit me. When she does I easily avoid her hand by ducking. I punch her in the stomach and then I feel two hands on my waist, holding me back.

"What the hell, bitch?!", I hear Charlie's voice and I feel a wave of relief.

Until I realise he's talking to me.

I look at him speechless, as Maya tries to explain. Charlie was always on my side. What happened?

The hands on my waist are proved to be Farkle's. He tries to push me back, to lead me somewhere else but I resist it. I hear Charlie swearing but his words don't make sense. Why was he with Missy's side?

A lot of people are gathered around us now, looking at us.

At last, Farkle manages to push me back. As we leave I can hear Lucas, who's voice is always soft in my head, shouting and yelling terribly loudly and terribly angrily.

.....

I sit alone in an empty class. I managed to escape Farkle's strong grip and avoid everyone. I just wanted to be alone for a moment.

I trusted Charlie a lot. Slowly he had won a place in my heart, like all my friends do. I don't know if he was just acting all this time or only some of it. It doesn't matter anyway.

I read somewhere, anyone can betray anyone. (RED QUEEN PEOPLE. AMAZING BOOK)

Betrayal came to me from the place I least expected it. But that's the thing with betrayal. It can never come from your enemies.

I look at the board. I realise that my feet have led me to math class.

"You okay down there?", a voice asks.

I turn my head to the left and see Lucas standing at the door, smiling sadly.

"I'm fine.", I murmur.

Lucas comes in and takes a sit next to me.

"It's chaos out there.", he says. "You won't believe how much this high school gossips. Everywhere you go, you only hear about you and Missy."

I nod. I expected as much.

"Maya knows the whole story." I keep my eyes on teh board. "She'll tell you."

"Done already", he says. "Missy's in trouble."

I couldn't care less, I want to say.

I don't care about Missy. I don't even care if she'll be punished for hitting me twice before I react. Charlie is my problem now.

"I know what you're thinking.", he says.

"You do?", I ask.

"Let me guess.", he says. "Gardner."

I smile.

"You're good at this."

He smiles.

"He isn't worth it, Riley."

"I just don't get it.", I say. "Why act so friendly when he just thought I'm a 'bitch'?"

"Because you left. Missy was here when you left, and she certainly took advantage of it."

That could be reason.

I don't know what to say, if I should say something. I've had betrayals worse than this. Lucas certainly can remember one.

"When you left...", he starts.

My chest becomes tight and my hands are shaking.

"...you left because of me.", he continues.

He is quiet so I understand he wants me to reply.

I won't lie.

"Yes."

It's only three letters but I know it hurts him to hear them. Still, I can't do something about it.

"I'm sorry. I really am"

I find the courage to look at his eyes. As much as I deny my feelings for him, they're still there. And they won't go away. I like him? Yes. Lucas was never just a boy for me. From the first day, until the last.

His green eyes capture me and I don't get why he doesn't look away from mine.

I want to say something. I need to say something. But before I can, Maya, Zay and Farkle come in the room. I look at them and behind the door I see a lot of people, looking at me and whispering.

"Hey.", Zay says with a soft voice and helps me up.

"Come with us now", Farkle wraps his hand around my back and we leave the room.

Lucas is probably still waiting for me to say something. But I don't resist Farkle's soft touch or Zay's comforting words. Maya follows us quietly.

As I turn right to find my dad, I see Missy, crying under Charlie's arm. He sees me but he doesn't dare to keep his eyes on mine for more than one second. Coward. Missy fakes her sadness as I walk past them with my friends and yells:

"I hate you Riley Matthews!"

I stop. I know my friends want me to keep going but I stop.

"I sincerely don't give a fuck.", I say.

And I keep walking. Farkle smiles, Zay and Maya laugh. I feel good, now that I said it.

It's not completely honest since I do care a little. She got Charlie to hate me. But I won't let any of them think I care, even if I do.