Partners

Riley's POV

I walk to Music class.

It's the Wednesday after the party.

I get in the classroom. I'm alone exept from the teacher and Lucas. I recognize him even though he has his back turned to me. Neither of them heard me coming in and I take advantge of that. They're talking quietly.

"I have already changed the pairs for you once. I'm not doing it again. Sorry, Lucas."

I press my lips. Lucas wanted to change his partner. I don't understand. We have have a fight at a party and he just wants to stop talking to me?

"It's fine...", Lucas says nodding. He turns around and SURPRISE! There I am, my face as cold as my heart.

"Riley.", he says, his mouth open.

"Lucas." This time it's not sweet, as it was a few days ago and few years ago, in that libary. This time it comes out daring and steady. It's not a question. It's a challenge. The word tastes bitter for the first time in a long time.

He is speechless. His blonde hair is a bit messy, I notice. And his blue eyes look tired. And they look at me.

The other students come in the classroom and I sit at our desk. He slowly takes a sit, beside me but as far from me as the desk lets him.

.....

I sit in the cafeteria with Zay. Zay and Farkle are really understanding and they make school not a total hell. They, and sometimes Charlie, sit with me at lunch. Zay and Farkle do their best to be friends with all of us. Me and Maya and Lucas.

"I'm telling you, sugar, he hasn't slept for days."

Obviously, we're talking about Lucas. Lucas lives with Zay, now that his mom kicked him out. He hasn't talked to me at all these days except that 'Riley', 'Lucas' thing in Music. Zay thinks that Maya told him not to.

"Maybe you should talk to him", he suggests.

"No way.", I deny that right away.

Zay sighs. He's been dealing with this situation a few days now and he's tired

"Look, sugar. Maya came over on Tuesday and when she thought I wasn't listening she asked him if he's planning in changing his partner. I don't know what she meant, but I'm gonna find out."

That really gets my attention.

"What did he say?", I ask.

"Oh, what? You're intersted now, sugar?", he raises his eyebrows.

"Zay, answer the question.", I demand.

"Okay, sugar, don't bite! He said that he will. He said that he can't stand his partner anymore."

I take a deep breath. I just can't deal with this whole thing anymore. I get up. Zay gets up too.

"Who's his partner, sugar?", he asks and I doubt that I have ever heard him so serious.

I hate that I am so close to tearing up. I just stare at my friend. Zay is not stupid. He understands.

"Oh...", he sighs. He sits down again and traps his head between his hands. I press my lips and repress a sob. I don't sit down. I turn around and leave him to his misery.

I walk starring at my feet when I fall on someone. And of course you can guess who.

"Are you okay?", Lucas asks, placing his hand on my arm.

I push it off.

"I am always okay."

It's something my had said a lot of years ago. Josh and Maya both inspired me so much to grow to that person I am now.

"Riley...", he starts but I walk past him.

"Riley!", he yells.

I ignore him.

"Riley!"

"Stop!"

I turn around and face him, enough meters between us. Everyone is in the cafeteria so the hallway is empty.

"Just... stop.", I continue.

He looks sad, but I know it's just an act. He shakes his head.

"Let me explain.", he says.

I laugh nervously. I must look crazy.

"Don't be so dramatic, Lucas", I snap, "You can't stand me? It's okay. Just don't talk to me. It's not that hard. Stop making things seem so complicated because they're not!"

"I CAN stand you!", he yells.

I press my lips into a line. I am NOT going to cry. But I need to know if his lying.

"Then why music's such a problem", I ask, my voice close to breaking.

He shrugs.

"Maya doesn't like the fact that we're partners."

I sigh and shake my head.

"Do you?", I ask.

He shakes his head

"Of course", he admits, his voice breaking.

I turn my eyes at the ceiling. Not by annoyance but because my eyes are wet now and I don't want him to see.

He is stiff.

"But?", I ask, and even if he, by a miracle, hasn't noticed that I'm crying, he does now, hearing my voice.

I have nothing to lose now so I look at him. My eyes search desperately for his, looking for that feeling of salvation I always get when my eyes fall to that green ones of his. When he sees the tears on my face he looks like he wants to come closer and wipe them off but at the end he just shrugs.

"You left. She didn't."

I repress another sob and, with a face full of tears, turn around and head for the girls' bathroom.

.....

The rest of the day passes quietly. I'm heading to my place with Charlie.

"So... you're free on Saturday?", he asks.

"I'm always free on Saturdays.", I say and he laughs. I smile. It's easy to hang out with Charlie. Even though he isn't in our class anymore, we're still in the same school and since that party of his, we hang out.

"You wanna do something?", he asks, sounding hopefull.

I frown. Honestly, I don't want to go somewhere with Charlie if it's considered a date.

"Just the two of us?", I ask, trying to sound cool.

Charlie gets the point. I don't want 'just the two of us'.

"I was thinking of inviting Farkle and Zay, actually."

I know it's a lie but I totally appreciate it.

"Sure. Where should we go?", I say, smiling at him.

"I don't know", he shrugs. "We could go somewhere to eat..."

We reach my house. We stop walking and I turn to face him.

"I think I know a cute place. I'll text you later.", I say.

He smiles at me with a warm smile. God, that boy. I don't even deserve that much kindness.

"Great!", he says, "See you tommorrow, princess."

That catches me by surprise.

"See you.", I murmur and because it doesn't seem enough I lean forward and place a kiss on his chin, the quickly walk away.

I he blushes and I know that he looks at me as I get in my house, but my mind is on the nickname he just called me.

A long time ago I was a 'princess' to someone else. And I don't get how Lucas can be so far from me but still be next to me all the freaking time.